Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem logging in on powerpc

Beans

Re: Problem logging in on powerpc

I get:

linux old

If I type either "linux" or "old", I end up at the same point-- the ubuntu GUI login screen where it won't accept my login.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sorry, if I repeat the same, but you should try to boot like this
    Code:
    linux single
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Hidden!

Be SURE you are using the proper capitalization and make sure that Linux is entered at that second stage boot prompt with a capital L. Otherwise, the system will look for a lower-case linux kernel and not find it.

After booting up with Linux single, you should be presented with a text-based recovery menu.

The goal here is to try the quick fix and get the updates. With ethernet connected, cursor-down and choose

netroot

Then at the prompt, get the updates:

Code:
    apt-get update
    You don't need to precede the command with sudo since you are already root as Linux single.

If this doesn't work after a reboot, at least you can get to a root prompt to take other actions if needed.
    Last edited by stream303; May 3rd, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Nothing worked. I don't have time for this BS, so I just reinstalled 8.10 and I will leave it at that. Based on the pages and pages of gripes about install- and upgrade-related bugs with 9.04, I'm beginning to think this should not have been released yet.

Beans

I had an identical situation with Ubuntu Server 9.04 for PPC. Like OP, I reinstalled more than five times and tried to boot to recovery disk, and tried single user mode. Every single time it asked for root's password. What's aggravating is that since root's not enabled by default, I have no ability to enable it since I can't log in even once.

Like OP, I'll have to deal with going back to 8.10. I guess since PPC isn't officially supported I can't fault Ubuntu for this bug but it sucks all the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

These are problems I have never encountered on my G4 Ibook. Every time I upgrade it is something different but never anything this serious. I always seem to try another method to upgrade and get a good stable system. This time 9.04 seems to be working well but I wonder how long it will last. I sometimes think it is time for my Ibook to die but it just won't quit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just ran into the same bug installing Jaunty PPC on a 12" PowerBook G4 with the alternate CD. Investigated with an old 8.04 Desktop CD and found out that the Jaunty-installer didn't even create the user (not even the home-folder!) - no wonder I can't log in.

As the "Linux single" boot-option doesn't boot into a shell but brings up the graphical login-screen I'd say I'm royally fu***d.

The bug is also perfectly reproducable (already installed twice).
    My machines:
    iMac 24" (8,1): Ubuntu 11.04 | Lenovo S12: Ubuntu 11.04

FSF Associate member #7570 | twitter

Beans
    Hidden!

We may be seeing a combination of problems here. If it is just the inability to enter the user password, even though you know it was good during setup, you can try this:

At the second-stage yaboot boot: prompt, hit TAB to stop the countdown. Then

Code:
    Linux nosplash rw init=/bin/bash
    then at the prompt, change the user password:

Code:
    passwd <username>
    where <username> is the name of the user you chose to make initially.

reboot the machine,
    Code:
    reboot
    See if this gets you into your normal account after reboot.

However, in the other case where /home doesn't even seem to be created, I'm not sure what is going on there. About the only thing I can think of in that case is ask if you are dedicating the entire disk by letting guided-partitioning "use the whole disk", or are you deleting older partitions from earlier installs before trying to install 9.04? Is it a free-space issue where the installer just installs as much as it can and not notify you that it didn't have enough space to really complete the install? Hmmmmm..
    Last edited by stream303; May 20th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

well, in my case I was dedicating my entire disk (80GB) to Jaunty. Even a manual partitioning with a separate /home partition didn't change anything. However I now used the Desktop-CD and the installation went well so that's at least a workaround.
    My machines:
    iMac 24" (8,1): Ubuntu 11.04 | Lenovo S12: Ubuntu 11.04

FSF Associate member #7570 | twitter

Beans
    Hidden!

You may have stumbled across something - 99% of the time I use the "alternate" installer. However when I used Jaunty, for the first time in my life I used the desktop installer. No troubles.

We'll have to keep an eye on this and see if A) upgrades bork - not unheard of, and B) there might be something wrong with the alternate-installer for Jaunty.

Let's keep our eyes peeled for any further reports!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast