Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

I have a ASROCK N68PV-GS with Nvidia gforce 7050 built in graphics and the above procedure to install the Nvidia drivers worked perfectly. Booted into high resolution.

Here is a parital lspci listing:

00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] (rev a2)

Using ubuntu 9.04 server.

Thank you for the help!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Very good How-To. Thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work, so far.

I'm using 2 BFG9500's with the SLI bridge connected on an Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe mother-board with an AMD Athlon 64 x2. All the hardware works under Windows Vista, SP2.

The installation of 9.04 was from CD and was not an upgrade. I reformatted the partition.

I followed the How-To meticulously (for me, at least) and, after re-doing it twice, I can't boot to anything but a terminal (tty1-tty6). Ctrl-Alt-F7 only shows a blinking cursor. The output to the monitor following GRUB is as follows:

[ 0.955830] ACPI: Expecting [Reference] package element, found type 0

Graphic Boot Screen w/Progress Bar

Loading, please wait...
    19+0 records in
    19+0 records out
    kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/ee7bf857-e5af-46e2-9941-21cf44ce201e) = dev(8,5)
    kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/ee7bf857-e5af-46e2-9941-21cf44ce201e
    kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 9.04 Asus tty1

Asus login:
    Grep-ing /var/log/Xorg.1.log results in "No such file or directory"

Grep-ing /var/log/syslog shows about 15 entries per boot (I haven't worked out out to mail the file to my [WinXP] laptop from the shell prompt - yet - and I don't want to type in useless lines.) One line that seems signigicant though, is line 8:

"Jun 29 17:31:51 Asus kernel: [ 11.773195] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel."

Please point me in the right direction. If you need the content of any logs, I should have worked out how to do that soon.

TIA

Terry
    ("Ambidextrous" becuase I'm equally inept with either hand.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ambidextrous View Post
    Very good How-To. Thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work, so far.

I'm using 2 BFG9500's with the SLI bridge connected on an Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe mother-board with an AMD Athlon 64 x2. All the hardware works under Windows Vista, SP2.

The installation of 9.04 was from CD and was not an upgrade. I reformatted the partition.

I followed the How-To meticulously (for me, at least) and, after re-doing it twice, I can't boot to anything but a terminal (tty1-tty6). Ctrl-Alt-F7 only shows a blinking cursor. The output to the monitor following GRUB is as follows:

Grep-ing /var/log/Xorg.1.log results in "No such file or directory"

Grep-ing /var/log/syslog shows about 15 entries per boot (I haven't worked out out to mail the file to my [WinXP] laptop from the shell prompt - yet - and I don't want to type in useless lines.) One line that seems signigicant though, is line 8:

"Jun 29 17:31:51 Asus kernel: [ 11.773195] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel."

Please point me in the right direction. If you need the content of any logs, I should have worked out how to do that soon.

TIA

Terry
    ("Ambidextrous" becuase I'm equally inept with either hand.)
    The initial was a typo error that I failed to notice with the guide. Have fixed that now.

Try instead:
    Code:
    grep -n "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.*.log
    Other than that, you'll need to give more information.
    "NVIDIA taints kernel" means nothing unfortunately, and it's relevance is redundant.

If you have a USB stick or external drive, you can mount them in the terminal, then run:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh
    and cp the "nvidia-bug-report.log.gz" report it produces to that drive, reboot and upload it.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; June 30th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Iain:

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz is attached. Thanks for your help.

Terry
    ...but the truth is, I know just enough to be truly dangerous.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

I can confirm that these drivers work under Kubuntu 9.04/Jaunty KDE 4.3 RC1 with a ( BFG Tech. at least ) GeForce 7800 GS (OC) AGP card.

Note that the first time I tried installing them I got the dreaded "ubuntu is running in low graphics mode" screen with a bunch of complaints about

"
    (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) Can't load FireGL DRM library (libfglrxdrm.so).
    (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (a required submodule could not be loaded, 0)
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    "

etc. etc.

I had to follow this guide to get my system up and running again.

jdb2

Beans

I did a simpler install method since I was starting fresh with a new NVIDIA card (ATI on-mobo graphics just *did not work*). Removed NVIDIA references, then ran the installer and just answered "Yes" to everything, then enabled Xinerama in setup tool for 2nd monitor. Worked like a charm!

I can confirm that 9500 GT works. The specific card is the fanless DDR2 version of the Leadtek PX9500 GT. Now let's see if there is enough airflow in my super-quiet home theater PC to keep the card below water-boiling temperature

-dave

Beans

Very first command didn't work for me.

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original

"cannot stat: No such file or directory" was what it gave me.

It is utterly ridiculous that installing a driver on a "compatible" GPU is this hard. It is possible, right?

Couldn't I just add to hardware drivers or something and install it like that?
    Last edited by ROY.G.BIV; July 9th, 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ROY.G.BIV View Post

The filename probably has something appended to it. In my case it was '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0'

Oh my, well that is a keeper, as in one of the stupidest things I've ever said. Welcome to Unix 101 where we
    learn that if the destination file doesn't exist, it will be created.

Remind me not to post when my sleep/wake cycle is off.

Also, note that there's an error in the first step; it should be :

'sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original /etc/X11/xorg.conf'

otherwise you'll obliterate your xorg.conf.original.* with your current configuration which is probably not what you wanted.

jdb2
    Last edited by jdb2; July 10th, 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Brain was on vacation

Beans

Hey! Great HowTo, probably the best one I've read so far.
    My problem was the following:
    I started Ubuntu normally and suddenly the VESA drivers were active, just for no reason.
    So I wanted to reinstall the driver ( my usual way was to remove EVERYTHING related to nvidia, or any driver at all and then reinstall from the repo) but I wanted to try the new driver this time just because I was tired of the 169...
    You really helped me out.
    I have a Nvidia GeForce 6150 and I'm using Hardy Heron, so you can add it to the list, it worked perfectly.
    Now, besides the excellent HowTo you made, I would suggest you add more description to some of the commands you had us type, for example:
    "sudo apt-get --purge remove $(dpkg -l | grep nvidia | awk '{print $2}')"
    I am not aware of all the commands here, perhaps you could break it down to something like this:
    "'sudo' runs commands as root, 'apt-get' is the package manager, '--purge' is the option to remove even conf files... etc"
    Apart from that the howto is great

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ROY.G.BIV View Post

It is utterly ridiculous that installing a driver on a "compatible" GPU is this hard. It is possible, right?

Couldn't I just add to hardware drivers or something and install it like that?
    the file 'xorg.conf' doesn't exist on your system.
    Running:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    or
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    should restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdb2 View Post
    The filename probably has something appended to it. In my case it was '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0'

Also, note that there's an error in the first step; it should be :

'sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original /etc/X11/xorg.conf'

otherwise you'll obliterate your xorg.conf.original.* with your current configuration which is probably not what you wanted.

jdb2
    What are you talking about?
    Last edited by ibuclaw; July 10th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast