Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Remove the driver by going to tty ctrl+alt+F1 and do a sudo service gdm stop

then do a sudo nvidia-uninstall

reboot and reinstall driver.

Beans

Sweet thanks!

I guess it's because of the new kernel and when I followed this tutorial I was too lazy to install the auto update script towards the end of the tutorial. But now I have the auto update script on so I should be okay now. Thank You All.

Beans

Installing NViDIA
    Afterwards, its time to install the drivers.
    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/src/nvidia-driver
    Follow the instructions, and everything should run smoothly. A few points that I'd like to reassure first though:
    • Don't worry about pre-compiled binaries, just let the script compile the drivers itself.
    • If you run a 64bit OS, then let NViDIA install the 32bit backward compatibility modules.
    • When asked, double check to ensure you select 'NO' when the NViDIA installer asks to reconfigure the xorg.conf file.
      We don't want to change the xorg.conf file just yet, at least not until we are back in X.

When I get to this point id comes up with an error:

ERROR: The kernel header file ' usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h' does not exisit. The most likly reason for this is that the kernel source files in '/usr/src/linux' have not been configured.

how do I correct this? How do I configure the kernel?

UPDATE: I have gotten the kernel to recompile and installed. I am now having a problem with the resolution. I can only get 640X480.

FYI: Motherboard is ASUS M2N68-AM SE2
    Card : GeForce 9600
    Last edited by DeWayne24; November 16th, 2009 at 06:30 AM.

Beans

Just FYI for anyone upgrading to Karmic from Jaunty and installing the 185 driver from the Karmic repo, there is a bug that should be fixed soon in which DKMS builds the 185 kernel module against the Jaunty kernel headers. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...80/+bug/474917 Using this guide however you shouldn't have any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the nvidia drivers wont install on my PC. I am using kubuntu 9.10. The drivers were not installed during the fresh installation and when i tried to install the drivers through this tutorial, the maximum resolution I get is 640x480

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wink Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Thank you, I've just upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid and Jaunty and had Nvidia issues.

This tutorial fixed it.

Beans

Cool Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

I've been having problems since upgrading from 8.04 to 9.10. I followed the instructions and the drivers appear to work, IE: glxgears runs fine. But when I go to start WOW in terminal I get this message:

ron@Gazoo:~$ wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe"
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"OPENGL32.dll": libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    err:module:import_dll Loading library OPENGL32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe") failed (error c000007a).
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe" failed, status c0000135

I've search the forums but the fixes I found are a little over my head. Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Here we go again!

IntelCore i7-4770, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance,GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1Gb, Triple Boot Mint12, Ubuntu 12.04 & Win 7 Ulti

Beans

Thanks tini,
    Was able to install the latest nvidia 190.53 driver following your instructions, compiz desktop effects work again affect weeks of failed attempts following other threads. Using Ubuntu 9.10 with a GeForce 8500 GT
    Last edited by ufo123; January 9th, 2010 at 06:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Norwal View Post
    I've been having problems since upgrading from 8.04 to 9.10. I followed the instructions and the drivers appear to work, IE: glxgears runs fine. But when I go to start WOW in terminal I get this message:

ron@Gazoo:~$ wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe"
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"OPENGL32.dll": libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    err:module:import_dll Loading library OPENGL32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe") failed (error c000007a).
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe" failed, status c0000135

I've search the forums but the fixes I found are a little over my head. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you install the 32bit libraries during install of the driver?
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

I'm using an Nvidia Geforce GT130M and it works!! The repos driver doesn't though. I was very glad of your update script. I hate having to reinstall the drivers every kernel update.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast