Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 320

Thread: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    4

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    This tutorial worked like a charm for me on Jaunty Server with driver 190.16-x. Thanks for the help. I spent hours trying to figure out why I was getting a kernel error. You had me fixed in 10 minutes and back on the road to Linux nirvana.
    Last edited by ColinOpseth; July 24th, 2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added Nvidia version

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    34
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Regards
    Iain
    __________________
    Denny Crane!
    Damn Lawyers!
    Those who fail to learn from their own history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who ignore their own history, they are simply doomed…

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Merida, Venezuela
    Beans
    14
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Talking Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Hi everyone, just wanted to say thanks for the great guide and to talk about my experience, since I'm not working with the "normal" drivers, but with the CUDA ones (should be the same thing, nevertheless, but still wanted to share).

    Problem:
    Since installing Jaunty 64 bits, and upgrading it to all the latest packages and such, I've wanted to install the CUDA drivers (since it appears that those are needed if I wnat to run Folding@Home using the GPU -- in my case, an EVGA Geforce 8600 GTS). I figured this guide should be of help, so I followed the OP's guide all the way, up to restarting X.
    However, that wouldn't work. Ubuntu complained that there was a problem with my configuration, and ouput this:

    Code:
    carlos@inuki-desktop:~$ grep -n "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg*log
    
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:147:(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:148:(EE) NVIDIA(0):     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:149:(EE) NVIDIA(0):     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:150:(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:154:(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log:1646:(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
    /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log:1646:(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
    and:

    Code:
    carlos@inuki-desktop:~$ grep -i "nvidia\|NVRM" /var/log/syslog
    
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDP 000F7F90, 0014 (r0 Nvidia)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDT AFEF3040, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: FACP AFEF30C0, 0074 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT AFEF3180, 5283 (r1 NVIDIA NVDAACPI     1000 MSFT  3000000)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: HPET AFEF8580, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA       98)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: WDRT AFEF8600, 0047 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: MCFG AFEF86C0, 003C (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: APIC AFEF8480, 0098 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   10.842961] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.072933] Modules linked in: ck804xrom(+) mtd psmouse compat_ioctl32 videodev v4l1_compat snd soundcore snd_page_alloc chipreg map_funcs cfg80211(+) serio_raw eeprom_93cx6 i2c_nforce2 pcspkr(+) joydev(+) nvidia(P+) usbhid ohci1394 forcedeth ieee1394 floppy fbcon tileblit font bitblit softcursor
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.095221] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[AXV5] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.095226] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.095367] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  180.44  Tue Mar 24 05:46:32 PST 2009
    Jul 24 13:44:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 5169.696437] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 13:44:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 5169.696985] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  185.18.14  Wed May 27 01:23:47 PDT 2009
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDP 000F7F90, 0014 (r0 Nvidia)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDT AFEF3040, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: FACP AFEF30C0, 0074 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT AFEF3180, 5283 (r1 NVIDIA NVDAACPI     1000 MSFT  3000000)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: HPET AFEF8580, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA       98)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: WDRT AFEF8600, 0047 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: MCFG AFEF86C0, 003C (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: APIC AFEF8480, 0098 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.067520] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.319977] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[AXV5] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.319982] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.320202] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  180.44  Tue Mar 24 05:46:32 PST 2009
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.338098] Modules linked in: ck804xrom(+) mtd snd_rawmidi cfg80211 chipreg compat_ioctl32 snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq eeprom_93cx6 map_funcs psmouse i2c_nforce2 videodev v4l1_compat snd_timer snd_seq_device serio_raw snd soundcore snd_page_alloc pcspkr(+) joydev(+) nvidia(P) usbhid ohci1394 ieee1394 forcedeth floppy fbcon tileblit font bitblit softcursor
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734255] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734257] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734257] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734258] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817776] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817777] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817777] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817778] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901760] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901762] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901762] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901763] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDP 000F7F90, 0014 (r0 Nvidia)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDT AFEF3040, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: FACP AFEF30C0, 0074 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT AFEF3180, 5283 (r1 NVIDIA NVDAACPI     1000 MSFT  3000000)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: HPET AFEF8580, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA       98)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: WDRT AFEF8600, 0047 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: MCFG AFEF86C0, 003C (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: APIC AFEF8480, 0098 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.101023] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.353406] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[AXV5] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.353411] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.353595] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  180.44  Tue Mar 24 05:46:32 PST 2009
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.414399] Modules linked in: ck804xrom(+) snd_hwdep snd_rawmidi mtd chipreg cfg80211 snd_seq_midi_event psmouse map_funcs eeprom_93cx6 gspca_sonixb gspca_main compat_ioctl32 videodev v4l1_compat i2c_nforce2 snd_seq snd_timer snd_seq_device serio_raw pcspkr snd soundcore snd_page_alloc joydev nvidia(P) usbhid forcedeth floppy ohci1394 ieee1394 fbcon tileblit font bitblit softcursor
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212910] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212911] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212912] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212913] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290434] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290435] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290436] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290436] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371742] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371743] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371744] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371744] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Seeing that I had an API mismatch (two driver versions in conflict), I ran:

    sudo aptitude purge $(dpkg -l | grep nvidia | awk '{print $2}')

    And it eliminated the following packages:

    Code:
    nvidia-173-modaliases{p} nvidia-180-kernel-source{p} nvidia-180-libvdpau{p} nvidia-180-modaliases{p} nvidia-71-modaliases{p} nvidia-96-modaliases{p} nvidia-common{p}  nvidia-glx-180{p}
    I reinstalled the driver again, rebooted, and it worked. So you can now add an 8600 GTS to the list of working cards if you want. I still haven't had any luck with running F@H on the card, but I think I'll sort it out eventually.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-san View Post
    Hi everyone, just wanted to say thanks for the great guide and to talk about my experience, since I'm not working with the "normal" drivers, but with the CUDA ones (should be the same thing, nevertheless, but still wanted to share).

    Problem:
    Since installing Jaunty 64 bits, and upgrading it to all the latest packages and such, I've wanted to install the CUDA drivers (since it appears that those are needed if I wnat to run Folding@Home using the GPU -- in my case, an EVGA Geforce 8600 GTS). I figured this guide should be of help, so I followed the OP's guide all the way, up to restarting X.
    However, that wouldn't work. Ubuntu complained that there was a problem with my configuration, and ouput this:

    Code:
    carlos@inuki-desktop:~$ grep -n "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg*log
    
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:147:(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:148:(EE) NVIDIA(0):     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:149:(EE) NVIDIA(0):     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:150:(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:154:(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log:1646:(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
    /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log:1646:(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
    and:

    Code:
    carlos@inuki-desktop:~$ grep -i "nvidia\|NVRM" /var/log/syslog
    
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDP 000F7F90, 0014 (r0 Nvidia)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDT AFEF3040, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: FACP AFEF30C0, 0074 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT AFEF3180, 5283 (r1 NVIDIA NVDAACPI     1000 MSFT  3000000)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: HPET AFEF8580, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA       98)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: WDRT AFEF8600, 0047 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: MCFG AFEF86C0, 003C (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: APIC AFEF8480, 0098 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   10.842961] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.072933] Modules linked in: ck804xrom(+) mtd psmouse compat_ioctl32 videodev v4l1_compat snd soundcore snd_page_alloc chipreg map_funcs cfg80211(+) serio_raw eeprom_93cx6 i2c_nforce2 pcspkr(+) joydev(+) nvidia(P+) usbhid ohci1394 forcedeth ieee1394 floppy fbcon tileblit font bitblit softcursor
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.095221] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[AXV5] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.095226] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 12:18:24 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.095367] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  180.44  Tue Mar 24 05:46:32 PST 2009
    Jul 24 13:44:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 5169.696437] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 13:44:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 5169.696985] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  185.18.14  Wed May 27 01:23:47 PDT 2009
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDP 000F7F90, 0014 (r0 Nvidia)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDT AFEF3040, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: FACP AFEF30C0, 0074 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT AFEF3180, 5283 (r1 NVIDIA NVDAACPI     1000 MSFT  3000000)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: HPET AFEF8580, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA       98)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: WDRT AFEF8600, 0047 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: MCFG AFEF86C0, 003C (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: APIC AFEF8480, 0098 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.067520] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.319977] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[AXV5] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.319982] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.320202] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  180.44  Tue Mar 24 05:46:32 PST 2009
    Jul 24 13:46:35 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.338098] Modules linked in: ck804xrom(+) mtd snd_rawmidi cfg80211 chipreg compat_ioctl32 snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq eeprom_93cx6 map_funcs psmouse i2c_nforce2 videodev v4l1_compat snd_timer snd_seq_device serio_raw snd soundcore snd_page_alloc pcspkr(+) joydev(+) nvidia(P) usbhid ohci1394 ieee1394 forcedeth floppy fbcon tileblit font bitblit softcursor
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734255] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734257] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734257] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:04:51 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1112.734258] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817776] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817777] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817777] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:04:54 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1115.817778] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901760] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901762] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901762] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:04:57 inuki-desktop kernel: [ 1118.901763] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDP 000F7F90, 0014 (r0 Nvidia)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: RSDT AFEF3040, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: FACP AFEF30C0, 0074 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT AFEF3180, 5283 (r1 NVIDIA NVDAACPI     1000 MSFT  3000000)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: HPET AFEF8580, 0038 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA       98)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: WDRT AFEF8600, 0047 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: MCFG AFEF86C0, 003C (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [    0.000000] ACPI: APIC AFEF8480, 0098 (r1 Nvidia NVDAACPI 42302E31 NVDA        0)
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.101023] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.353406] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[AXV5] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.353411] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.353595] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  180.44  Tue Mar 24 05:46:32 PST 2009
    Jul 24 14:07:15 inuki-desktop kernel: [   11.414399] Modules linked in: ck804xrom(+) snd_hwdep snd_rawmidi mtd chipreg cfg80211 snd_seq_midi_event psmouse map_funcs eeprom_93cx6 gspca_sonixb gspca_main compat_ioctl32 videodev v4l1_compat i2c_nforce2 snd_seq snd_timer snd_seq_device serio_raw pcspkr snd soundcore snd_page_alloc joydev nvidia(P) usbhid forcedeth floppy ohci1394 ieee1394 fbcon tileblit font bitblit softcursor
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212910] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212911] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212912] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:07:19 inuki-desktop kernel: [   32.212913] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290434] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290435] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290436] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:07:22 inuki-desktop kernel: [   35.290436] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371742] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.14, but
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371743] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371744] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 24 14:07:25 inuki-desktop kernel: [   38.371744] NVRM: components have the same version.
    Seeing that I had an API mismatch (two driver versions in conflict), I ran:

    sudo aptitude purge $(dpkg -l | grep nvidia | awk '{print $2}')

    And it eliminated the following packages:

    Code:
    nvidia-173-modaliases{p} nvidia-180-kernel-source{p} nvidia-180-libvdpau{p} nvidia-180-modaliases{p} nvidia-71-modaliases{p} nvidia-96-modaliases{p} nvidia-common{p}  nvidia-glx-180{p}
    I reinstalled the driver again, rebooted, and it worked. So you can now add an 8600 GTS to the list of working cards if you want. I still haven't had any luck with running F@H on the card, but I think I'll sort it out eventually.
    me too but i use ubuntu and conflict between 177 185 and i try to solve for 2 days but when i read this topic and
    sudo aptitude purge $(dpkg -l | grep nvidia | awk '{print $2}')
    and reinstall
    it's work thanks

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,757

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    me too but i use ubuntu and conflict between 177 185 and i try to solve for 2 days but when i read this topic and
    sudo aptitude purge $(dpkg -l | grep nvidia | awk '{print $2}')
    and reinstall
    it's work thanks
    Point taken, I'll just shift that command up a bit

    EDIT: Done!
    Last edited by ibuclaw; July 25th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,757

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-san View Post
    I reinstalled the driver again, rebooted, and it worked. So you can now add an 8600 GTS to the list of working cards if you want. I still haven't had any luck with running F@H on the card, but I think I'll sort it out eventually.
    I have a few friends who want to get F@H setup too.

    I'll start working on an extension if I can get it setup myself.

    edit: it seems to be working at my end, so I just included what I did under a subtitle.

    Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; July 25th, 2009 at 02:10 PM.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    37
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Just dropped by to say that I'm running a x32 bit Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and this worked beautifully for me.

    Way to go on the awesome HowTo.

    EDIT: Oh, I also have a Nvidia 9800 GT version. For those who care.
    Last edited by JoyousDeath; July 25th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Merida, Venezuela
    Beans
    14
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    I have a few friends who want to get F@H setup too.

    I'll start working on an extension if I can get it setup myself.

    edit: it seems to be working at my end, so I just included what I did under a subtitle.

    Regards
    Iain
    Hi, thanks for the reply. From your instructions, it seems like you're running the CPU client, which is the easiest to configure and run. The GPU client only runs on Windows, but some people have worked around that by installing the CUDA toolkit, installing a wrapper for CUDA, and running the client through WINE (which is why I wanted to install the CUDA driver instead of the normal one, but I had a problem with that; continue reading.)

    First, I had to revert all the changes I did, because the client seems to have a problem with drivers > 180.60, even with the 190 BETA driver. So, I followed the last part of the guide, like so:

    Code:
    sudo nvidia-uninstall
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-all
    sudo rm /usr/src/nvidia-driver /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-nvidia
    Rebooted, and went to Hardware Drivers to install the previous driver, only to find the options all empty. It occurred to me that I needed to install everything that I uninstalled previously before it would work, so I looked at my previous post, and did:

    Code:
    sudo aptitude install nvidia-173-modaliases nvidia-180-kernel-source nvidia-180-libvdpau nvidia-180-modaliases nvidia-71-modaliases nvidia-96-modaliases nvidia-common nvidia-glx-180
    After that, I rebooted again, and the driver was once again available for installing. So I installed it, rebooted, and it worked.

    Now, it seems that I didn't really need to install the CUDA driver (the 180.44 one would work as well), so I went ahead with all the steps for installing and linking the CUDA Toolkit.

    (I made it as a sort of guide for myself, following the ones here and here. Hope you don't mind; I can even post it in a new thread if needed. I don't mean to hijack this thread...)

    Folding@Home GPU client installation

    First, Wine must be installed. (Since I had it already, I skipped over that part.)

    If you don't have it, a simple

    Code:
    sudo aptitude install wine
    wine notepad
    will do. (The notepad line is for creating the wine directory structure if you haven't run it the first time.)

    Now, the CUDA Toolkit. Even though the 2.3 toolkit is available, do not install that one, as the wrapper has not been upgraded to that one just yet. Use the 2.2 one (the 32-bit version, regardless of what your system is), available under Linux, 32 bit, and then selecting Ubuntu 8.10, here (or simply follow the steps below).
    Download, and install like this:

    Code:
    wget http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/2_2/toolkit/cudatoolkit_2.2_linux_32_ubuntu8.10.run
    sudo sh cudatoolkit_2.2_linux_32_ubuntu8.10.run
    You can leave the default location (/usr/local/cuda) as it is.

    Next, the CUDA Wrapper. The wrapper uses a built-in delay, so the kernel has to have a high resolution timer. You can check for that doing:

    Code:
    cat /proc/timer_list | grep "hrtimer_interrupt" 
    cat /proc/timer_list | grep ".hres_active    : 1"
    (Note the whitespace. If you search for ".hres_active : 1" or something like that, you won't find it. Or simply search for ".hres_active" and check the value).

    If those are present, then everything is OK and you can continue. However, if support for "CPU C1E state" is Enabled in the BIOS, the kernel will fail to enable the high resoulion timers. Disabling it will solve this.

    To install the wrapper:

    Code:
    wget http://www.gpu2.twomurs.com/wrapper2ndgen/2.1/cudart.dll.so -O ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/cudart.dll
    ln -s ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/cudart.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/nvcuda.dll
    Now, for linking the toolkit:

    Code:
    sudo sh -c "echo '/usr/local/cuda/lib' > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/cuda.conf"
    sudo ldconfig
    If you want to test if the toolkit is properly linked:

    Code:
    ldd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/cudart.dll
    The output should be something like this:

    Code:
    	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7f18000)
    	libcudart.so.2 => /usr/local/cuda/lib/libcudart.so.2 (0xf7ebb000)
    	libwine.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libwine.so.1 (0xf7d6b000)
    	libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7d45000)
    	libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7be2000)
    	libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7bde000)
    	libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7bc5000)
    	librt.so.1 => /lib32/librt.so.1 (0xf7bbc000)
    	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7acd000)
    	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7abd000)
    	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7f19000)
    If you see any "not founds" then the toolkit has not been properly installed, or you have installed the 64-bit version of the toolkit. In that case, simply erase the toolkit from the default install location (or your selected location), and install the 32-bit version.

    Now, edit your .bashrc file:

    Code:
    gedit ~/.bashrc
    And paste the following at the end:

    Code:
    # CUDA stuff
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/cuda/bin
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/cuda/lib
    export PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    Almost done. Now, download the F@H GPU console client from http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther; at the moment, like so:

    Code:
    wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-Win32-GPU_XP-623.zip
    Extract the contents of it into a new folder (in my case, I made a Folding@Home/GPU folder in my home directory), change to that folder, and run:

    Code:
    nice -n 19 wine Folding@home-Win32-GPU.exe -verbosity 9 -forcegpu nvidia_g80
    Configure it (change the username and team if you have them, otherwise leave the defaults), and it's done. To exit the program, just click on the console and hit Ctrl+C

    Sorry for the long read. I hope it's helpful to someone.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,757

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Pardon me for being obtuse, but your instructions seem to be working for me.
    Although, I'm on 64bit Ubuntu with my own custom-tailored kernel.

    Although I have my doubts that has anything to do with it.

    Regards
    Iain

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Merida, Venezuela
    Beans
    14
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Pardon me for being obtuse, but your instructions seem to be working for me.
    Although, I'm on 64bit Ubuntu with my own custom-tailored kernel.

    Although I have my doubts that has anything to do with it.

    Regards
    Iain
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, if I understand correctly, you followed my instructions with a driver newer than 180.60 and it worked correctly, no Early Unit Ends or anything like that? If so, what version are you using? My card is taking 4~ minutes for each 1%, and with newer drivers it might probably work faster.

    I'm also looking to build a custom kernel using KernelCheck, and see if that speeds up the CPU version.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •