Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 320

Thread: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

  1. #101
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    17

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Reinstall of the driver seems to have fixed it all up. Thanks for the help

    If you're still interested:
    kane@kane-desktop:~$ find /lib/modules -name nvidia.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,757

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by tehkane View Post
    Reinstall of the driver seems to have fixed it all up. Thanks for the help

    If you're still interested:
    That's what it should look like. Awesomeness.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    176

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Just booted into the OS, and it works for me...

    You could try running:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh
    And attach the report it generates in your next post.

    Regards
    Iain
    Here is the log I made earlier for the nVidia fora. It is made on a
    2.6.30rc8 kernel. The behaviour is still the same with the final kernel. Hopefully, this is useful for you.
    Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #104
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA, Texas, CA
    Beans
    365
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    My motherboard has a built in graphics processor (Intel 82565G or something like that).

    I added an NVIDIA 8400GS (a PNY product in a PCI slot).

    I followed your tutorial to the letter.

    When I finished, I re-booted and went into the BIOS to select the newly installed graphics card (and also switched the monitor to the new output jack). Ubuntu started to boot and then got hung up after only about 10 seconds of the boot procedure.

    I think I must not be doing the right thing with a configuration file.

    When I installed the NVIDIA drivers I was running on the built in Intel 82565G graphics processor.

    Is there a way to boot Ubuntu to a tty screen (or some screen with NO graphics? That way I can boot up using the nvidia card, install the drivers, and then reboot.

    Somewhere I think there is a file where I can change the runlevel but I'm new to a lot of this.

    Does this sound reasonable? I am attaching the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz.

    One of your instructions is:

    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

    I have a question about 'uname -r'. Do I type that in literally or do I replace uname with my username or something else? I'm asking because when I ran that line the output contained the line

    E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-uname -r

    Thanks for all your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by raymondvillain; June 18th, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added information

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,757

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by ernstblaauw View Post
    Here is the log I made earlier for the nVidia fora. It is made on a
    2.6.30rc8 kernel. The behaviour is still the same with the final kernel. Hopefully, this is useful for you.
    Thanks for your help!
    Hmm, I can't see anything that would strike me as odd initially after a quick scan of that report. If you followed the "mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.original" step in the guide, do you still have that backupfile? Have you tried using that instead?

    Regards
    Iain

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,757

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by raymondvillain View Post
    My motherboard has a built in graphics processor (Intel 82565G or something like that).

    I added an NVIDIA 8400GS (a PNY product in a PCI slot).

    I followed your tutorial to the letter.

    When I finished, I re-booted and went into the BIOS to select the newly installed graphics card (and also switched the monitor to the new output jack). Ubuntu started to boot and then got hung up after only about 10 seconds of the boot procedure.

    I think I must not be doing the right thing with a configuration file.

    When I installed the NVIDIA drivers I was running on the built in Intel 82565G graphics processor.

    Is there a way to boot Ubuntu to a tty screen (or some screen with NO graphics? That way I can boot up using the nvidia card, install the drivers, and then reboot.

    Somewhere I think there is a file where I can change the runlevel but I'm new to a lot of this.

    Does this sound reasonable? I am attaching the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz.
    Firstly, I'd doubly make sure that the onboard graphics card is turned off.

    Secondly, you boot into Recovery Mode and enter the "Root Shell".

    Uninstall
    Code:
    nvidia-uninstall
    Then reload the default graphics driver
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    And load your desktop
    Code:
    init 3
    Afterwards, we can then walk you through the guide and help you were possible.

    One of your instructions is:

    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

    I have a question about 'uname -r'. Do I type that in literally or do I replace uname with my username or something else? I'm asking because when I ran that line the output contained the line

    E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-uname -r

    Thanks for all your help.
    You use back-ticks (The key that is to the left of the 1 key).
    This runs the command
    Code:
    uname -r
    and attaches the output to the end of the string.

    If it's easier, just use this instead:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    But by the looks of it, you should already have the headers install. Where the installation went wrong seems to be in the actual "installing" stage where files were copied/symlinks created.

    Hopefully running "nvidia-uninstall" will fix this, and you can run through the installation again without error.

    Regards
    Iain

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA, Texas, CA
    Beans
    365
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Your suggestions look promising. But how do I boot into recovery mode? Do you mean I use the live CD?

    Thanks so much for your help.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,757

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by raymondvillain View Post
    Your suggestions look promising. But how do I boot into recovery mode? Do you mean I use the live CD?

    Thanks so much for your help.
    It's an option in your boot menu.

    When your computer boots, press Esc and you should be shown a list of options.

    Regards
    Iain

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA, Texas, CA
    Beans
    365
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    Well, I booted into recovery mode but did not get very far. Everything came to a halt at a line "udevd-event[1204] /bin/mkdir/var/run/network: abnormal exit"

    Do you have any ideas?

    If I ever do get any farther into the recovery mode, how do I enter the root shell?

    Thanks for all your help.

    Henry
    Last edited by raymondvillain; June 18th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA, Texas, CA
    Beans
    365
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

    I did discover how to get into the root shell from recovery mode at boot.

    Another point: If I turn off the onboard graphics device, even the Ubuntu Jaunty live CD fails to boot.

    I'm afraid I'll have to use some other approach, such as using an older driver.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •