Thread: laptop not booting into gnome but CLI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[Solved] laptop not booting into gnome but CLI

I'm running Intrepid Ibex and normally my computer will boot directly to gnome. This morning I can no longer do that. The boot process seems to go through every step without a hitch and suddenly it boots to command line instead of giving me the standard GUI login before going into GNOME.

I recently changed the login screen to a custom login screen found on the gnome's artwork page. But it hasn't been a problem. I'm wondering if that is the issue, but I have my doubts since I haven't had an issue with the custom login screen.

Once in CLI, I try to open gnome:

Code:
    sudo gdm
    It returns that it is already running, so I:

Code:
    ps -aux
    That returns that the process is running by user root.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by afbase; April 15th, 2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Marking Thread As Solved
    LIM 1/n = Knowledge of Man
    n → ∞

My Blog: www.ColdOwl.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: laptop not booting into gnome but CLI

Quote Originally Posted by afbase View Post
    I'm running Intrepid Ibex and normally my computer will boot directly to gnome. This morning I can no longer do that. The boot process seems to go through every step without a hitch and suddenly it boots to command line instead of giving me the standard GUI login before going into GNOME.

I recently changed the login screen to a custom login screen found on the gnome's artwork page. But it hasn't been a problem. I'm wondering if that is the issue, but I have my doubts since I haven't had an issue with the custom login screen.

Once in CLI, I try to open gnome:

Code:
    sudo gdm
    It returns that it is already running, so I:

Code:
    ps -aux
    That returns that the process is running by user root.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    The new login theme may or may not be the problem, but we can find out by replacing the display manager (this isn't a big deal, and it's easy to undo):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdm
    When prompted, choose to make kdm the default display manager. Then:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    If this starts up the graphical environment successfully, you can then go into the Gnome tool for changing the login screen and revert it to its old settings. Then you can change back to gdm by running:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    and selecting gdm as the default this time.

If that doesn't work, please post any error messages you received after running the command to start kdm.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: laptop not booting into gnome but CLI

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    The new login theme may or may not be the problem, but we can find out by replacing the display manager (this isn't a big deal, and it's easy to undo):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdm
    When prompted, choose to make kdm the default display manager. Then:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    If this starts up the graphical environment successfully, you can then go into the Gnome tool for changing the login screen and revert it to its old settings. Then you can change back to gdm by running:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    and selecting gdm as the default this time.

If that doesn't work, please post any error messages you received after running the command to start kdm.
    I had forgotten that I had to reset my resolution in my last session last night in GNOME by:
    Code:
    gksudo displayconfig-gtk
    It seems that GNOME didn't like that when I booted my computer this morning. I fixed it by going into the recovery mode and resetting the resolution by going to System>Preferences>Screen Resolution on the Gnome Toolbar

Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

I did try your method, however I found out quite fast that my wireless connection was not working when Ubuntu booted to CLI and I was too lazy to move my laptop near my router at that time.
    LIM 1/n = Knowledge of Man
    n → ∞

My Blog: www.ColdOwl.com