Thread: dvd-rw incremental mode--help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

dvd-rw incremental mode--help

So, is it true you can't do multisession burns in -rw, but rather only "incremental mode" where you have to perform a FULL erase/blank before yopu are able to start the disc again in incremental (sequential) mode? I have some 2x dvd-rw--that means a full 30 min each erasure! This 'sequential" vs. multisession mode is confusing...What a pain..I've only ever used +rw, but ended up with these by a fluke...I'll take 'em back if that's the case.
    Last edited by logos34; April 14th, 2009 at 05:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: dvd-rw incremental mode--help

well. I just formatted a full -rw in k3b, and killed it. Just shows up as empty now and 'rewritable - no'. Going back to +rw, so much easier (and faster)

Update: actually, I just had to wait a few minutes (probably for the phase-change layer to stabilize/cool) for the disc to be readable once more. It's now back to virgin, factory blank state.

But this business with full-formatting to rewrite in incremental mode over a full disc is a serious limitation (especially in data backups). No wonder almost everyone uses +R(W)
    Last edited by logos34; April 14th, 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: dvd-rw incremental mode--help

ok, maybe dvd-rw aren't so bad after all--going from sequential incremental or restricted overwrite mode to sequential DAO requires only a quick format (~ a few min)...[But to start a sequential incremental mode disc anew in incremental mode requires a '-blank=full' at 2x in my case, so thats 30 min. Ugh.] Since I'll mostly be burning in DAO mode anyway (the ]whole disc at one time--all 4.4 gb), so it probably won't be much of an issue. But it's a lot easier to just be able to overwrite each previous session without having worry about any formatting at all.
    Last edited by logos34; April 14th, 2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: corr.