Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is NASA ADS usefull?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Is NASA ADS useful?

Hi,

I am developing a PDF manager I, Librarian, which works seamlessly with PubMed and PubMed Central. I use these repositories heavily for my work. However, I was coquetting with the idea to enter the world of physicists, because I found a wonderful resource called NASA ADS. Is this THE resource that you guys use? Would it be useful to have a PDF manager integrated with this service? Thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by bubblehead74; May 21st, 2009 at 10:48 PM.

Beans

Re: Is NASA ADS usefull?

Absolutely useful. Tremendously useful. It is pretty much all I use.

By the way, whether you decide to include it or not, thank you for providing very useful software to the larger community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is NASA ADS useful?

Thanks for your answer. NASA ADS is obviously useful for astrophysicists, but what about particle physicists, or other branches of physics? In any case, I will probably start playing with its integration into I, Librarian, because they have a nice interface and can provide references in XML, often with direct hyperlinks to full text PDFs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the general relativity and high-energy physics community make extensive use of SPIRES and arXiv.
    your software looks very useful, thanks a lot!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehead74 View Post
    NASA ADS is obviously useful for astrophysicists, but what about particle physicists, or other branches of physics?
    As you might expect, ADS includes Planetary Sciences and Solar Physics Journals. It also includes the APS journals as well as the SPIE conference proceedings, which covers a very large chunk of the non-astrophysics stuff. It also searches ArXiv and science education research journals.

If you want to figure out how to interface with ADS, you can start here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hubie View Post
    If you want to figure out how to interface with ADS, you can start here.
    Thanks for the resource. It looks straightforward enough. I will finish the transition of I, Librarian from beta to the release version, and then I will definitely look at ADS. I would appreciate getting some input on desired features of such integration. Literature mining must be very different in biology and physics .

Beans

Awesome for referencing when joined with latex and bibtex.

Beans

Smile Re: Is NASA ADS usefull?

NASA ADS is absolutely useful for Astro and allied branches.

I have installed I, Librarian and see that it is fantastic.

If you could add NASA ADS, Arxiv, SPIRES it will be even more fantastic. Please do it fast and post the update info here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I integrated NASA ADS and arXiv. You may try the demo. Let me know, if it is a step in the right direction. After some testing, I will include these features in the official release. Hopefully, SPIRES will follow as time allows.

Beans

I downloaded I, Librarian and went to install it on our Centos5 server. I went to try it out and I found that it wouldn't work because there is the call to sys_get_temp_dir, which apparently is only good for PHP versions >= 5.2.1. Unfortunately, Centos 5 runs 5.1.6. I'm not sure what version Ubuntu has in the repos.

I found some web pages that tell you how to upgrade PHP to 5.2 on Centos, but it looked like a path I didn't want to go down on our office server.

I did get it to work though. This page (in the user comments) tells one how to back-port sys_get_temp_dir into PHP 4 and 5.1. I used the function given at the bottom of the page and I included it in the functions.php file. I also had to add include_once 'functions.php' to data.php. With those changes it seems to be running, and I will try it out with our company to see how well it works.

I should have prefaced my comments with the statement that I don't know a lick of PHP, and I'm just now figuring out how it, apache, etc. all play together. Thus, if there was a better way to get the code working than the path I took, I would be happy to hear about it.
    Last edited by hubie; May 24th, 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Removed the "thumbs down" icon that mistakenly got added to the post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast