Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Need help) NVIDIA drivers >177

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: (Need help) NVIDIA drivers >177

Strange. What kernel are you running. Normal Ubuntu kernel or custom compiled?
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

I downloaded Ubuntu (the standard version) from the Ubuntu site in the start of 2008 and installed it with the installation tool on the CD which I burned it to. As far as I know I didn't compile anything. I am not using Kubuntu og Xubuntu etc. etc. either. I am running 8.10 32-bit. (But I have >4GB RAM! :/ Should upgrade but cba! D: ) So I guess the answer must be:

Normal Ubuntu kernel.

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990978

Here's another link that you might try, it's even a bit less complex than the former one. It has never failed me.
    Last edited by jocheem67; April 13th, 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

His card is not only supported by the new drivers but, the newer drivers are actually aimed at performance for his card. That's why I find this all very strange. Based on the logs, it's like the newer kernel module isn't being built when he installs the newer drivers.

Edit:
    As for the memory issue, see: Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory
    Last edited by sdennie; April 13th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jocheem67 View Post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990978

Here's another link that you might try, it's even a bit less complex than the former one. It has never failed me.
    That tutorial simply described what I've been doing all along. It's the standard install procedure. Remove old driver, restart system, shut down X-server, install driver, restart.

That's where the error comes in.

Beans

Try starting X with the non-working NVIDIA drivers again.
    When it fails, switch to a tty and stop gdm:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

sudo killall Xorg
    Now collect all required data to fully debug your problem:
    Code:
    grep "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log >~/Desktop/Xorg.log

grep -i "nvidia\|NVRM" /var/log/syslog.0 >~/Desktop/syslog.log

dpkg -l nvidia* >~/Desktop/dpkglist.log

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf >~/Desktop/xorg.conf
    And restore X and bring back up gdm
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Note: If you are using another method to restore X back, use that way instead.

Now, log into the forums and post the contents of each of the files you created.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; April 13th, 2009 at 07:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Try starting X with the non-working NVIDIA drivers again.
    When it fails, switch to a tty and stop gdm:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

sudo killall Xorg
    Now collect all required data to fully debug your problem:
    Code:
    grep "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log" >~/Desktop/Xorg.log

grep -i "nvidia\|NVRM" /var/log/syslog.0 >~/Desktop/syslog.log

dpkg -l nvidia* >~/Desktop/dpkglist.log

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf >~/Desktop/xorg.conf
    And restore X and bring back up gdm
    Code:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Note: If you are using another method to restore X back, use that way instead.

Now, log into the forums and post the contents of each of the files you created.

Regards
    Iain
    I'm sorry but I can't do this. As soon as I get to the bolded step my user@user~linux: commandline turns into just >

From there, any command I enter is not interpreted but simply saved, so that I can later press arrow-up and type in many commands at once.

In this state however, I can't even restart the x-server. I had to go another terminal to do that.

Nub-alert. I can't do it. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I was using that way to start up Gnome.

EDIT2:
    Nvm, got it to work. You've written one " too many in the line and I have to type >~/Skrivebord instead as I am using a Danish version of Ubuntu. Might want to mention that... :/
    Last edited by TheDesertDragon; April 13th, 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans

The logs:
    dpkglist.log:
    Code:
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Navn                                       Version                                              Beskrivelse
    +++-==========================================-====================================================-============================================
    un  nvidia-173-kernel-source                   <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-173-modaliases                      <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-177-kernel-source                   <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-177-modaliases                      <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-180-kernel-source                   <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-180-libvdpau                        <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-180-modaliases                      <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-71-kernel-source                    <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-71-modaliases                       <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-96-kernel-source                    <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-96-modaliases                       <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-common                              <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-glx                                 <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-glx-173                             <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    ic  nvidia-glx-177                             177.82-0ubuntu0.1                                    NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
    ic  nvidia-glx-180                             180.37-0ubuntu2                                      NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
    un  nvidia-glx-71                              <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-glx-96                              <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-glx-envy                            <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-glx-legacy                          <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-glx-legacy-envy                     <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    rc  nvidia-glx-new                             169.12+2.6.24.16-23.56                               NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver
    un  nvidia-glx-new-envy                        <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-glx-src                             <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-kernel-169.12                       <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-kernel-71.86.04                     <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-kernel-96.43.05                     <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-kernel-common                       <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-kernel-source                       <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-kernel-source-envy                  <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-kernel-src                          <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-legacy-kernel-source                <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-legacy-kernel-source-envy           <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-new-kernel-source                   <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-new-kernel-source-envy              <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    pn  nvidia-settings                            <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    un  nvidia-xconfig                             <ingen>                                              (ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse)
    syslog.log
    Code:
    Apr 12 23:19:18 christian-linux kernel: [   12.971375] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Apr 12 23:19:18 christian-linux kernel: [   13.284507] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Apr 12 23:19:18 christian-linux kernel: [   13.284514] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    Apr 12 23:19:18 christian-linux kernel: [   13.296496] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  180.17  Sun Dec 14 20:25:46 PST 2008
    Xorg.log
    Code:
    (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    (EE) NVIDIA(0):     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    (EE) NVIDIA(0):     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    xorg.conf
    Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Fri Apr  3 13:01:52 PST 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load           "dbe"
        Load           "extmod"
        Load           "type1"
        Load           "freetype"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The funny thing here is... After doing this error report, I started it up and the error DID NOT OCCUR. However, the screen flashes black whenever Compiz tries to use an advanced effect, and 3D programs cannot find a suitable device.

Btw: Ingen means nothing and ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse means no description available.

EDIT: Ahh...
    turns off the graphics driver, doesn't it?
    Last edited by TheDesertDragon; April 13th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Beans

Well, all what I can see wrong initially is just one erroneous line in the xorg.conf file.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    And remove this line in bold:
    Code:
    Section "Module"
        Load           "dbe"
        Load           "extmod"
        Load           "type1"
        Load           "freetype"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection
    Also, you seem to have some residual configuration of an uninstalled package (nvidia-glx-new). Though, it is hard to tell whether or not this is playing a part in the load sequence.

And yes, 'dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg' resets the graphics configuration back to the default Vesa drivers.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; April 13th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Beans

In Windows right now. (One of my friends wanted to play arena. It's not going to well. We just fell below 2k! )

I'll try that one later. I'll reinstall the driver and go to that file and change that exact line and reboot, and I'll say here what happens. (I could also post new logs)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast