Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How To Help Ubuntu Studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To Help Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by gregzeng View Post
    So much very badly formatted text to try to read. Downloaded about ten almost as messy pages to try to read, about compiling, I think?

Usually I resort to Pinguy's versions, since the Ubuntu team likes being behind the frontier, it seems. If it could learn from the Puppy series of distros - it might know that users of all types are specialized into 'packages'.

For example: AUDIO, GRAPHICS, MULTI-MEDIA, DEVELOPMENT, SECURITY, DEBUGGING, BENCHING, ...

You have classified volunteers into novices, advanced & coders, I think. Every business-minded person would be shocked if you classed staff members this way.

IMO(not at all humble!): Ubuntu desperately needs departments (paid and/ or unpaid staff) in Market-Research (trends, competitors, peers, allies, wiki-leakers, ...), tech writers, crash-rewarders (like Google does, but no need for $$$ to be paid out), ...

This is why Colgate-Parmolive, Walmart, Amazon, Coca-Cola, MacDonalds, Apple & Microsoft excel: not because of good products, but MARKETING EXPERTISE only.

In my many decades of workaholism & being a head-huntee, from 'novice' to CEO(s), Ubuntu is like the rest of Linux: a primary-school graduate obsessed with being a one-per-center. Please ... MARKETING is now a science. Be scientific, instead of childish!

Retired Chief Information Officer (1984)
    Australian Capital Territory
    Er hem.......

Sir..... the Ubuntu Studio Team has actually only a few people working on the distro.

Do we actually have time to care about marketing? Our 3-4 people dev guys (len-ovenwerks, ailo, micahg, scott-work) spend their life working on this. I have to do testing for testcases that no one wants to do or has the ability to do it. ailo also worked hard on documentation. scott-work spend his working hours helping us along the way.

We are just volunteers. We of course don't know about everything. I do think the marketing is not quite enough as the other distros (like Xubuntu, who has their own marketing lead). But then we are not geniuses. Please keep that in mind.

Also if you want to help with marketing there IS a way. There is a Ubuntu Marketing Team in Launchpad, and a #ubuntu-marketing channel in Freenode IRC, which wants to solve Bug #1 (aka to beat Windows and Mac OS X by Marketing).

You seemed to be attacking on us. But then please think twice. We are not enough of people already. We desperately need more volunteers, and by diving them into groups we want to ensure that EVERYBODY even novices can help to make the release better. There aren't a lot of people who are advanced users. We want as much help as we can.

So, if you can help us on marketing please do, but please not say we are childish, we are not.

Regards,
    Howard Chan
    Ubuntu Studio QA Contact
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans

Hello Ubuntu Studio,

I have downloaded and installed the latest Ubuntu Studio 12.10 to my dual monitor laptop and my desktop. Very excited to join the forum. I am not a beginner to linux or ubuntu. I gave up windows over a year ago and have experimented with many distros over the past several months.

I AM A DOCUMENTATION ORIENTED END-USER.

My history:

I first started linux when my brother gave me a 32-gb laptop with Windows XP. My brother didn't want it anymore because it was too small to upgrade to Vista or Win7 and XP was officially losing support. So I randomly downloaded and installed Linux Mint 12. I learned a lot using Linux Mint and love the distro. I started experimenting with other distros, however, including Arch, Centos and Ubuntu. I did not bother trying Debian because I am not a big fan of rolling distros. I am not a beginner nor am I an expert guru either. I am somewhere in between. I know enough to work my way around and I understand what it takes to learn new information and ask questions.

My Preferences:

My preference is Ubuntu based distros. I tried Fedora based distros like Centos but my only use for Centos is for a dedicated server and at this moment I do not have a use for a dedicated server. I tried Arch and although I like the high customization features, I would rather honor the dedicated developers choices and just use the OS for the programs they have to offer. I learned most of what I know using Linux Mint (ubuntu based w/xfce desktop) but I am now going to dedicate a lot of time with Ubuntu Studio and there is a strong possiblity that I will stay with this distro for a long time because of the nature of what I do with computers.

I am a Blender enthusiast first and formost, but I am excited to learn any of the other programs included in the Ubuntu Studio distro.

I like to stay as close to the default out-of-the-box installation as possible. I do some minor interface customizations but for the most part I like to stay as close to the default configuration because I do not need anything fancy asthetically speaking.

I have added and plan to add some non-default packages and the majority of programs I use are stable.

My opinion:

I am 100% behind open source development. I have been around the forums for quite sometime now and have read many comments and understand the volunteer nature of the linux community as a whole. I like to avoid arguments but I will try to respond to everyone who comments on any of my personally initiated posts. I am gravitating to the IRC for help but I like to keep a presence in the forums because the responses are usually well thought out and complete.

My role:

I am going to start with absolute beginner for now. This forum is now my home page for my firefox browser so I plan to read this forum everytime I log into my computer. I wish ubuntu would subscribe to "tap a talk". "tap a talk" is a smartphone app for iphone and androids that makes it easy to read and post off of a smartphone.

I will be testing Ubuntu Studio just because it is now my sole OS and I use my computers a lot as a Blender end-user.

I will be asking questions and reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any suggestions as to how I may help the developers is welcome for me.

I am invested in using this distro for my Blender workflow and I would love to play a significant part in further developing this OS.

Thank you,
    Animaguy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hi,
    Am using Ubuntu Studio 13.04 (as i await the 14.04 LTS). I have used Ubuntu Vanilla for some time n just 2 weeks back decided to get rid of elementaryOS for Ubuntu Studio. I am a Guitarist n will be recording my home jams in UStudio..
    Posted a thread n got gr8 help from jejeman n cub.
    Also, I would like to point that I ahve Installed the OS in my mother tongue i.e. Bengali.

If I can be of any help, then I would surely try to do it..

Thanx again..
    bhatta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    Hi,
    Am using Ubuntu Studio 13.04 (as i await the 14.04 LTS). I have used Ubuntu Vanilla for some time n just 2 weeks back decided to get rid of elementaryOS for Ubuntu Studio. I am a Guitarist n will be recording my home jams in UStudio..
    Posted a thread n got gr8 help from jejeman n cub.
    Also, I would like to point that I ahve Installed the OS in my mother tongue i.e. Bengali.

If I can be of any help, then I would surely try to do it..

Thanx again..
    bhatta
    You are certainly welcome to help out with Ubuntu Studio testing and development. Y
    You can find some information here http://ubuntustudio.org/contribute/.

Basically, just either drop into our IRC channel or post to our mail list presenting yourself, and we'll see where to go from there

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

was in the IRC for half an hour yesterday.. announced myself too... letz c if i can be of any help...
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have written some pages on "How to Build a Home Music Studio" at www.lafavinie.com/Music If it helps, I can take emails if people have specific questions or would like to make the pages more comprehensive. The workflow through the pages starts simple and gets more involved, culminating in U-Studio and integration of a Mac running Reason (from Propellerheads in Sweden). It has taken me nearly four years to get everything I wanted working as I wanted it - the pages are the story of this adventure - perhaps!

Cheers Clock.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456