Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How To Help Ubuntu Studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: How To Help Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by David Dubie View Post
    Re: Wireless problems with Studio Installations.
    I am using a duel boot system configured as follows:
    HP Pavilion dv 1245 ca AMD Turion X2 64 - 64 bit Vista -- Wireless works Perfectly!
    Installed on USB Hard Disk - Ubuntu 10.04 .2 -- Wireless works Perfectly!

I decided to add the Studio to my Ubuntu following the instructions posted to do the upgrade
    ** in the instructions - aptitude should be changed to apt-get **
    After completing the upgrade -- WIRELESS DOES NOT WORK ??
    I have a suspicion that the 10.04.2 code for wireless detection and operation has somehow been corrupted and is not functioning.
    I also did afresh install of Studio from CD and everything works but the wireless which displays exactly the same dis function as the upgrade installation.
    My next try will be to try the upgrade again without the studio desktop - I'll let you know.
    I hope this will help the developers find a solution to the wireless problems with Studio.
    Good Luck
    David
    well here is part two.
    I did a fresh install of 10.04.2 and it ran perfectly.
    I completed a fresh up-grade install of all the Studio packages with the EXCEPTION of the STUDIO DESKTOP and the WIRELESS along with everything else works fine.
    Looks like the Wireless problems with the current Studio version have to do with a code problem in the Studio Desktop.
    Hope this will point the developers to a Fix for the wireless problems
    Good hunting
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cool Re: How To Help Ubuntu Studio

Hi, all;
    I seem to have studio & have no idea how I got it. I d/l obuntu 10.10 from ubuntu site & burned to a cd. I used the cd to install it. So, what's the story, here. Why do I have it, what is it good for, or bad for. I don't do any sound stuff except for listening to some of my music once in a while, same with video, just the occasional video I watch on line or one sent to me via email. Only thing I do is photography & I have several thousand photos I've taken. For this I use GIMP, raw converters, viewers, and cataloging progs. So, please educate me.
    Thnax
    Michael

Beans

Re: How To Help Ubuntu Studio

I had problems using vanilla Ubuntu with an old but good sound card (Aureal Vortex 8820) in a (much newer) hp xw8400 workstation. WinXP showed that the card could still perform. Then I discovered Ubuntu Studio, and now it works beautifully (with default settings).

Ubuntu Studio (also here with default settings) is also good at showing videos from an old camcorder with interlacing artifacts. It really manages to make a smooth view of it.

I also appreciate that you plan to avoid the Unity desktop. Good luck with XFCE

But because
    - I've used Ubuntu Studio only a couple of days
    - I'm an amateur in multimedia
    I cannot contribute more now, but maybe later, because I have a new high definition video camera, and I plan to edit my video-clips.
    Last edited by Olle Wiklund; August 25th, 2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo, clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Nice post Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by crispyrich View Post
    i love ubuntu but until someone sorts out the sound card problems its like having a car with no tyres??
    i have tascam us144 and cant use it in ubuntu
    will ditch windows as soon as then (wish i could do it but its a bit advanced)
    all the best guys
    rich
    I and my musician/studio owner friends are well fed up with ubuntu and the extreme geekyness! sound hardware that wont work scanners that wont work midi/audio that wont work bored bored bored still on xp and will stay that way until things work!!

Beans

Wink Re: How To Help Ubuntu Studio

i use lucid lynx, 32 bit. but i use rt kernel , 2.6.33-29 from kxstudio ppa. great kernel , responsive (so far). and surely studio-package, but not extensively used. i will test this system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have tried and failed with Ubuntu Studio back a few years.... Mostly hardware related problems and my inability to find a stable configuration.

Sounds like this might be a good time to try the LTS version....
    RM Tablet Bodhi 1.4 & XP. Sempron d/top SuSE, Ubu 1004. AMD 244 d/top Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Acer 5684 Ubu 1004 . Acer 4315 Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Plus KNOPPIX & Puppy Live - & Bodhi Linux everywhere else

Beans

I am a newbie to Ubuntu/Ubuntu Studio and linux in general. I installed lmms awhile back and found it to be very irritating that I had to open a terminal every single time I wanted to launch lmms, so I read a bunch of stuff and figured out an easy alternative that maybe other newbies might not know. Can something be added to Ubuntu Studio help about this? it would be:

How to create a GUI based icon/launcher for lmms in Ubuntu/studio 11.10

In previous versions of Ubuntu, you can create shortcuts to your favorite applications and system locations right on the desktop.

These shortcuts are the desktop launchers to quickly launch your favorite applications and system locations such as Chrome, Home folder etc.
    However, Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot does not allow you to create desktop launchers by right clicking on the desktop as in the previous Ubuntu versions.
    This will explain how to Create a Desktop Launcher in Ubuntu 11.10

First you need to install gnome-panel package using the following command from your terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
    Create new launcher

Open the terminal and run the following command

Code:
    gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
    This will open create laucher dialog box here you can give a suitable name for the launcher.In the Command field , type in the command to launch the application Then, click OK to create the desktop launcher.

Example:

You can now add the launcher icon to the launcher sidebar if you like, or keep it on the desktop.

Make sure that you choose the "Application in Terminal" in the "Type" field, also you can add "&" after "lmms" in the "command" field so that you can close terminal after lmms is launched, without closing lmms as well. So command would be:

Code:
    lmms &

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thorgal View Post
    IIRC, Ubuntu Studio is not only about audio prod. You can install graphics apps and bypass the whole RT stuff if such is your work interest.
    And can we edit the video in ubuntu forum.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RedCell989 View Post
    I am a newbie to Ubuntu/Ubuntu Studio and linux in general. I installed lmms awhile back and found it to be very irritating that I had to open a terminal every single time I wanted to launch lmms, so I read a bunch of stuff and figured out an easy alternative that maybe other newbies might not know. Can something be added to Ubuntu Studio help about this? it would be:

How to create a GUI based icon/launcher for lmms in Ubuntu/studio 11.10

In previous versions of Ubuntu, you can create shortcuts to your favorite applications and system locations right on the desktop.

These shortcuts are the desktop launchers to quickly launch your favorite applications and system locations such as Chrome, Home folder etc.
    However, Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot does not allow you to create desktop launchers by right clicking on the desktop as in the previous Ubuntu versions.
    This will explain how to Create a Desktop Launcher in Ubuntu 11.10

First you need to install gnome-panel package using the following command from your terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
    Create new launcher

Open the terminal and run the following command

Code:
    gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
    This will open create laucher dialog box here you can give a suitable name for the launcher.In the Command field , type in the command to launch the application Then, click OK to create the desktop launcher.

Example:

You can now add the launcher icon to the launcher sidebar if you like, or keep it on the desktop.

Make sure that you choose the "Application in Terminal" in the "Type" field, also you can add "&" after "lmms" in the "command" field so that you can close terminal after lmms is launched, without closing lmms as well. So command would be:

Code:
    lmms &
    Thanks for sharing, I am also using the ubuntu from 1 year a go but I normally use graphical interface only. can you let me know how can i install this studio in graphical interface of ubuntu 10.04.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast