Thread: Add/Remove Applications vs. Synaptic Package Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Add/Remove Applications vs. Synaptic Package Manager

New to Ubuntu here,

I have both Add/Remove Applications and Synaptic Package Manager to install applications. Does it matter which I use, or are they the same?

Also, I noticed that the Add/Remove Applications one also adds the program to the taskbar menu -- does Synaptic not always do this?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Add/Remove Applications vs. Synaptic Package Manager

add/remove is for installing applications, which may consist of multiple packages. Synaptic is for installing individual packages, some of which are applications (and will be added to menus) and others are not. If you want access to the full repositories you should use synaptic. They both satisfy package dependencies so they are both relatively easy to use. There are a number of apps that add/remove doesn't see so you you should always search synaptic before giving up.
    Last edited by Universal344; April 13th, 2009 at 02:25 AM.
    The number of living people on Earth today is not in the trillions. In fact, the number is much much smaller. Most people are too busy living in yesterday and tomorrow.

Beans

Software is split into packages, Synaptic allows you view/install and remove all packages. Add/Remove is a variation where things a split into "Applications". When you install an Application you actually install several packages that correspond to the app.

There are things (some add-ons and such) that can only be installed via Synaptic, other than that, there is no difference. I use Add/Remove whenever I can just because it is easier.

Beans

They are almost the same. The add/remove gui is meant to be more user friendly. Both should add the icons to the menus. Synaptics is better if you are looking for an specific package that you need, like some library, etc. Also, not everything that is listed in synaptics is in the add/remove gui
    Andres Cimmarusti

Debian testing amd64 xfce

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the replies.

One more (semi) related question:
    If a program does not appear in the menu, I see where I have the option to add it, but how would I go about finding the command to run?

Ex) Calculator's command is: gcalctool

How would I find this if it wasn't already there?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Most user-installed executables wind up in /usr/bin. You can use the "which" command to find where an executable is in the file system, e.g.
    Code:
    which [program name]

Beans
    Distro

Perfect, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also, be aware that applications aren't necessarily listed in the Applications menu by their actual name. For example, File Roller is listed as Archive Manager, because that's what it is. gcalctool is listed in the Applications menu as Accessories->Calculator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My signature has a screencast of how to find the name or location of a program that has been installed from Synaptic or Add/Remove Applications.

The package management system doesn't create a menu item - the package itself usually contains a file that gets installed and defines which menu to go into, what icon to use, and translations of the program name and description. This file gets installed in a place where the menu menu generator can find it. If you notice a GUI program that you install and it doesn't have one of these ".desktop" files (it doesn't get added automatically to the menu) then I'd advise that you file a bug report against the package.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.