Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a live CD to do a virus scan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Using a live CD to do a virus scan.

I've been trying to use a live CD to scan an entire hard drive but I've had very little luck. I boot the CD, then download Clamtk, and then when I try to do a recursive scan on the entire drive, Clamtk turns grey and stops responding.

Any suggestions? I really just need a live CD that will let me do a virus scan, preferably with an updated virus database via the internet. I've only used Ubuntu before but I'm open to other distros provided I can get an ethernet connection working on the live CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Using a live CD to do a virus scan.

Maybe PuppyLinux, I believe it comes with AV intalled.

Bill
    Ubuntu 10.04-Server: HP Pavilion: AMD Athlon 3200; 2gb RAM; GeForce4 MX - nForce; 160gb HDD; 1TB eSATA External HDD | Ubuntu 10.04: Dell D600; Intel Pentium M 1600 MHz; 2gb RAM; ATI Radeon 9000 (RV250); 60gb HD | Ubuntu User #24614

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd like to have an up-to-date database and I'm not skilled enough to manually set up the internet connection on Puppy.

----------------
    Now playing: Switchfoot - C'mon, C'mon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by InfectedWithDrew View Post
    I'd like to have an up-to-date database and I'm not skilled enough to manually set up the internet connection on Puppy.

----------------
    Now playing: Switchfoot - C'mon, C'mon
    Hrmm...most times the wireless with Puppy 4.2 works Out Of the Box. The download normally takes more time than to setup

Good Luck,
    Bill

And if you're hardwired, it'll take you 10 seconds to setup
    Ubuntu 10.04-Server: HP Pavilion: AMD Athlon 3200; 2gb RAM; GeForce4 MX - nForce; 160gb HDD; 1TB eSATA External HDD | Ubuntu 10.04: Dell D600; Intel Pentium M 1600 MHz; 2gb RAM; ATI Radeon 9000 (RV250); 60gb HD | Ubuntu User #24614

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah puppy linux really has great out of the box compatibility, but i don't think you can download and install programs while using the live cd in ubuntu. Last time i used it and downloaded the restricted codecs, they were installed, but when i tried to play my movie, totem reported that the codecs were not installed. You could try running ubuntu from a flash drive, that would be a more probable avenue, don't you think
    #ubuntu-beginners on irc.freenode.net

Chuck Norris once beat the land speed record on a bicycle missing its chain and the back tire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan300 View Post
    Yeah puppy linux really has great out of the box compatibility, but i don't think you can download and install programs while using the live cd in ubuntu. Last time i used it and downloaded the restricted codecs, they were installed, but when i tried to play my movie, totem reported that the codecs were not installed. You could try running ubuntu from a flash drive, that would be a more probable avenue, don't you think

I believe the @'s original question was concerning virus scanning. Burn puppy to a CD, boot it, mount the drive you want to scan, run F-Prot (already on utility menu) update the defs, point F-Prot to your mounted drive and scan.

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MrWES View Post
    I believe the @'s original question was concerning virus scanning. Burn puppy to a CD, boot it, mount the drive you want to scan, run F-Prot (already on utility menu) update the defs, point F-Prot to your mounted drive and scan.

Bill
    The manual said, in order to set up a connection, you had to do some ifconfig-ing.

Also, you can install to RAM on a live CD. How else would I actually run Clamtk? It just stops responding when recursively scanning an entire drive...

----------------
    Now playing: Long Since Forgotten - 06 1018, Press Return

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by InfectedWithDrew View Post
    The manual said, in order to set up a connection, you had to do some ifconfig-ing.

Also, you can install to RAM on a live CD. How else would I actually run Clamtk? It just stops responding when recursively scanning an entire drive...

----------------
    Now playing: Long Since Forgotten - 06 1018, Press Return

Puppy has a connection wizard, which is pretty is to run and setup. Also, you wouldn't run Clamtk, you would run F-Prot, the default AV in Puppy -- already installed.

Drive on kiddo!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MrWES View Post
    Puppy has a connection wizard, which is pretty is to run and setup. Also, you wouldn't run Clamtk, you would run F-Prot, the default AV in Puppy -- already installed.

Drive on kiddo!
    Ah, sounds nice. I'll check it out, then. Maybe I misunderstood the manual pages?

----------------
    Now playing: Kutless - All The Words (Sea Of Faces Album Version)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You don't need a virus scanner, Linux doesn't get viruses. However, feel free to type virus in add/remove, there's a program there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast