Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Question Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    I can't wait for Jaunty to be released, I really want to try out 64 bit Ubuntu (I'm using 8.10 32-bit now) and ext4 file system.

    First off: if I download the current build of 9.04, will I have to reinstall the official version when it is released? Or is it as simple as keeping my system up to date by using the update manager?


    Second: should I just be patient and wait for the official release? I.E. are Ubuntu betas pretty solid during the month of the release?

    I've never tried Ubuntu betas, so if it's a solid beta that I can update after the official release, I might just try it now. I'm being cautious because that would mean formatting my 32bit Ubuntu install, which is running fine.

    Thanks

    Edit: I should mention additional repositories. Is it safe to install repositories like Medibuntu, WINE, OpenOffice, etc.?
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Beans
    2,400

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    You can update from a beta to stable release via the upgrade system if I recall correctly.

    If you want native ext4 and 64bit then a clean install now is what you need.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    You can update from a beta to stable release via the upgrade system if I recall correctly.

    If you want native ext4 and 64bit then a clean install now is what you need.
    Right, that's why I mentioned I'm being cautious. I'd have to format my 32 bit install, which is running fine.

    I could probably have it up and running my the end of today, given there are no problems.

    How about extra repos?
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Beans
    273
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    I've run into no trouble with additional repos; right now I have medibuntu, banshee, mozilla-daily, chromium-daily, wine and some other miscellaneous ones related to vdpau, compiz and pulseaudio fixes. I've run into no hitches with them.

    Obviously, it's going to depend which ones you use, but the ones you listed will be fine I'm sure.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmL View Post
    I've run into no trouble with additional repos; right now I have medibuntu, banshee, mozilla-daily, chromium-daily, wine and some other miscellaneous ones related to vdpau, compiz and pulseaudio fixes. I've run into no hitches with them.

    Obviously, it's going to depend which ones you use, but the ones you listed will be fine I'm sure.
    Sounds great. What do you think? Should I take the plunge and go right for a 64 bit install and ext4?

    Is there any preliminary tests I should do? E.G. burn a jaunty 64 bit live cd and see if it runs no problem?
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Beans
    1,355
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-buntu View Post
    Right, that's why I mentioned I'm being cautious. I'd have to format my 32 bit install, which is running fine.

    I could probably have it up and running my the end of today, given there are no problems.

    How about extra repos?
    I haven't run into any show-stoppers since around Alpha 3 or 4. That said, it is a Beta, so YMMV.

    Are you not in a position to dual-boot 8.10/32 with 9.04/64? That seems like the sane thing to do if you don't want to lose your working install. Granted, there's always a risk.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    I'm dualbooting Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit, so I don't have any room to work with on this laptop hard drive.

    If Ubuntu is down, I'll still have Vista, but I won't be happy
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    1,171
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    You should wait until thursday/Friday this week and use/install the RC. downloading beta now and installing is a bad idea. Or download daily live cd. But RC is safest bet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingston upon Hull
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    You should wait until thursday/Friday this week and use/install the RC. downloading beta now and installing is a bad idea. Or download daily live cd. But RC is safest bet.
    Nothing wrong with the ol'upgrade. I've been updating mine since the early alphas, sure I had a few hitches now and then but there's not many bumps in the road left now we're nearing the RC.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    1,171
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Upgrading From Beta to Official Release

    Quote Originally Posted by lee.jarratt View Post
    Nothing wrong with the ol'upgrade. I've been updating mine since the early alphas, sure I had a few hitches now and then but there's not many bumps in the road left now we're nearing the RC.
    Yes I just meant download/installing beta will result in having to download 200-300mb and hundreds of updates which could introduce problems.

    Either try a daily live cd, or wait for RC. If daily live cd make sure it is not oversized if you plan on putting on CD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •