Thread: Multiple network problems, related?

Beans

Multiple network problems, related?

I have a new install of Ubuntu, with firefox and thunderbird. The other computers we have here are windows xp.

I am having a few problems, and am not sure if they are a Ubuntu networking problem, or thunderbird and firefox problems.

Thunderbird cannot send mail, the error msg is "...connecting to smtp server smtp.gmail.com failed..... I have 3 different mail servers (gmail, att and other), and get the same basic message when trying to send on all 3 smtp server configs. I entered the account settings manually, then tried copying my perf.js from my working windows thunderbird install, no change.

Firefox is also having some problem....when I go to a webpage, it stalls. If I RECLICK the same page, reload or resubmit, it zooms there right away. So, it is super slow the first time, but fast with the second click.

Networking with Windows computers, I can see my windows computers, but if I try to copy files, the copy will start, but eventually stall. Also, once the drive is mounted, after some time, the drive is "gone", still mounted, but not available.

So, helllp! 3 problems or one ubuntu problem?

I have searched and searched on all 3 of these, see alot of problems like this with thunderbird, but dont have any solutions.

Tell me how to fix this! I am going nuts.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Multiple network problems, related?

Ok, I think I fixed the firefox issue....turned off proxy.

Now, just the thunderbird and windows networkng issues!!

Help?