Thread: Problems with the Synaptics Driver...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problems with the Synaptics Driver...

Since I moved to Jaunty Beta, I've been having a problem with my touchpad.

I had edited my .fdi to use corner taps; middle and right buttons in the upper left and right corners, back and forward buttons in the lower left and right.

But for some reason, the touchpad would randomly register a button 8 event (back button) causing the browser to navigate away from a page instead of click a page element. In each case, the button 8 event would happen when tapping on the right side of the touchpad, opposite the corner that button 8 was assigned to. I have confirmed this with xev.

I have since commented the navigation buttons out of the .fdi to avoid this.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a know issue with driver? I have used mostly the same configuration flawlessly with previous versions of Ubuntu, though I used xorg.conf.

Any help is much appreciated.

Rowan
    Rowan Q

Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problems with the Synaptics Driver...

Nobody?

Additional info; no matter what I assign to that corner, it shows up and gets triggered on the other side of the touchpad. So if I make LBCornerButton == 3 I get a spot in middle of the right side of the pad that triggers button 3 events.

Any help or suggestions would be great.
    Rowan Q

Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro

Filed a bug report here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...cs/+bug/361906

I downgraded to synaptics 0.15.2 as a workaround. Get it here:

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/204382...untu8_i386.deb
    Rowan Q

Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

I dont use the touchpad much, I use a mouse.
    So I haven't noticed those issues, but tapping stopped working.
    Downgrading solved this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rowanq View Post
    Since I moved to Jaunty Beta, I've been having a problem with my touchpad.

I had edited my .fdi to use corner taps; middle and right buttons in the upper left and right corners, back and forward buttons in the lower left and right.

But for some reason, the touchpad would randomly register a button 8 event (back button) causing the browser to navigate away from a page instead of click a page element. In each case, the button 8 event would happen when tapping on the right side of the touchpad, opposite the corner that button 8 was assigned to. I have confirmed this with xev.

I have since commented the navigation buttons out of the .fdi to avoid this.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a know issue with driver? I have used mostly the same configuration flawlessly with previous versions of Ubuntu, though I used xorg.conf.

Any help is much appreciated.

Rowan
    I have an updated driver if you want to try it in my PPA

https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/ppa

Some things of note - gsynaptics is made for the ancient .15 drivers, uninstall it if you're using anything newer because it's broken pretty bad. SHMConfig is no longer required in versions >1.0.0, you can do everything through x properties or synclient without SHMConfig now. gpointing-device-properties is the new gsynaptics if you need a gui to manage it. If you have problems building that just post and I can help. You can do a man synaptics to see the new options after installing it.

Beans
    Distro

Sarvatt,
    Sorry for the late response. I installed the synaptics .deb from your PPA, but the bug persists. Gonna stick with .15.2 for now (which is a shame, 'cause I really wanna move to the 1.xx drivers.)
    Rowan Q

Ubuntu 10.10