Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I send someone a file without email?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I send someone a file without email?

I'm sorry I don't know enough about Bittorrent to know whether you can have your own computer as the tracker. So I can't comment on the idea.

Using Apache is seriously simple - you don't need to touch any configuration files, just install Apache and it will immediately start serving any files inside /var/www. Put some files in that directory and they will appear to anyone who types your IP address into their web browser. You do need to forward a port (port 80) on your router, but then you'd need to do that anyway if you were running a Bittorrent tracker. Unless you have a direct internet connection, in which case no forwarding necessary.

You can find out your IP address from www.whatismyip.com.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Just use AIM. You drag the file you want to send into the text box where you would type and hit enter. Me and my roomate use it all the time to share things like movies and tv shows, so it would definately work with the small file your talking about.

Beans

Yeah, I must admit apache looks quite good.

I can actually do port forwarding already. I'm not too bad with iptables, and i can find out my ip address with ifconfig.

Well, that's certainly some useful suggestions from everyone. I'll come back when I've tried them out a little bit.

Thank you all very much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12