Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Microsoft Is Fighting Back (Finally)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How Microsoft Is Fighting Back (Finally)

Quote Originally Posted by D@RKKIN6 View Post
    Linux is opensource and free, but it's hard for someone who just need to use simple programs.
    Actually, it's great for someone who needs just simple programs. The problems come when you need something professional-quality, like a decent desktop publishing software or a good video editor.

Beans

I dislike Microsofts ADs... Severely. Especially the little kids that somehow know how to make a movie slideshow or a panoramic image. It is not that easy, even in Vista apps.

The only thing worse is TV Land Prime, or Comcast.

This is why I do not watch TV anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by azangru View Post
    Actually, it's great for someone who needs just simple programs. The problems come when you need something professional-quality, like a decent desktop publishing software or a good video editor.
    Find me a Linux app as simple to use, yet as complete for purpose, as Windows Movie Maker.

There aren't any.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    We buy a disproportionate number of computers.
    Actually, you buy a disproportionate amount of everything!

20% of the worlds population using 80% of the worlds resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post Re: How Microsoft Is Fighting Back (Finally)

I don't see any ads for Linux or Ubuntu on mainstream TV (I usually watch DishNetwork 500). I usually see Microsoft and Mac ads.

So how is the general public being educated about the Linux-based OS? Is it just a strategy of hoping that the web-surfer might hit upon a site previewing or containing a Linux OS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ursaminor View Post
    I don't see any ads for Linux or Ubuntu on mainstream TV (I usually watch DishNetwork 500). I usually see Microsoft and Mac ads.

So how is the general public being educated about the Linux-based OS? Is it just a strategy of hoping that the web-surfer might hit upon a site previewing or containing a Linux OS?
    IBM did a series of Linux commercials a while back, but you're right in that the TV advertising is virtually nonexistent.

The Ubuntu ads are out there, although they usually appear in print. For example, PC Magazine and CPU have both very recently run feature articles on Ubuntu as well as open source software in general. There are also mainstream news outlets such as TIME, Newsweek, and BusinessWeek which have been following Linux consistently for at least the past decade.

These seem to be very strong indicators that there is a large enough market for Linux that the media considers it relevant. We may not see an Ubuntu commercial any time soon, but don't discount the news coverage and word-of-mouth advertising. It makes a huge difference.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mehall View Post
    Find me a Linux app as simple to use, yet as complete for purpose, as Windows Movie Maker.

There aren't any.
    Just a shot in the dark here, but Gparted, for example. Partition managing in Windows is almost scary, GParted offers a stupidly easy to use UI and moron-proof controls.

Pidgin, Banshee, I don't remember, but really simple apps are the best thing about linux, I agree with the person who said that professional linux apps are hard to come by, in comparison.

Beans

Cool. I'll take a copy of Windows 7 for $15. Where do I get them from?

Or is it just a lot of hot air?

I've said for years that Microsoft has to radically rethink it's pricing strategies, and now thanks to serious competition we're in a position where they have no choice. I'll be interested to see what the retail boxed price comes in at, because imho they are going to have to price this product extremely carefully. Many people now have PC's that will run W7 no problem. They won't want to pay a lot of money for a new Windows. Price it at the crazy prices they used to charge, and they'll cause themselves some problems I reckon.

The days of people paying £150+ for a Windows OS should be well and truly a thing of the past.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by azangru View Post
    When I want to listen to mp3 format music, I'll have to install the codec from "Add/Remove app",
    that's easy yes, but not everyone wants to do that, they want it already installed,
    Windows and Mac already have it installed, Ubuntu haven't and that makes Ubuntu (or Linux) difficult for the most of the public.

And I also agree with the commercials, Microsofts commercials are boring and non-reality things,
    but because Ubuntu (Linux) doesn't have that,
    so it remains a big problem.

For a person who doesn't get information about Ubuntu, Windows is easy to use,
    Mac is easy but not like windows and Linux and all other versions of Linux are just coding and Ubuntu is also a Linux,
    so it's also just coding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by D@RKKIN6 View Post
    When I want to listen to mp3 format music, I'll have to install the codec from "Add/Remove app",
    that's easy yes, but not everyone wants to do that, they want it already installed,
    Windows and Mac already have it installed, Ubuntu haven't and that makes Ubuntu (or Linux) difficult for the most of the public.
    it is a licensing issue, not a technical one:
    you do not pay royalties so you have to install it yourself

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast