i have a netgear wgr614 v.6 that is pretty unstable. when i copy a lot of data from laptop to desktop, it often crashes. at least once a week ai have to unplug the router and plug it back in again. a firmware upgrade did nothing to help and my computer guy says he won't even sell netgear anymore because he has has so much trouble with them.

so i want a new machine. i am intrigued with the possibilities offered by tomato. if i can crank it up just a bit beyond the factory settings, i may have fewer problems getting through the concrete walls in my apartment. and i thought it would be fun to fool around with it and learn something new.

so the recommended machine is a linksys wrt54gl which is totally unavailable here (china) anymore) so i am looking for other options. perhaps even an N supported router if the proce is right. i really don't know a huge amount about this sort of thing yet but i don't want to buy one and regret it afterward.

if anyone has messed about with tomato and can recommend a good router for me, i would really appreciate it. it is really just for home use. i have a desktop connected to a TV with everything on it and a bunch of laptops that connect to it wirelessly. sometimes my wife syncs her phone to it and i am thining about getting the new smartq 5 mid.

thanks in advance for any advice. a good router that isn't too hard to flash so i don't end up with a brick if i do something wrong.