Thread: Cannot find the autorun program

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

(SOLVED) Cannot find the autorun program

I wished to run Jaunty 9.04 as a live DVD and downloaded it and burned the .iso to disk. All being done in a complete Ubuntu environment. I had noted a similar post but this kept receiving questions regarding Windows and replies ran out so I felt that this was worth mentioning.

Having attempted to install Jaunty via the DVD 2 items were displayed on my desktop (see screenshot). I accepted the software intended to run automatically but this resulted in "Error autorunning software. Cannot find the autorun program". So I decided to see what start package manager would do for me and found that firstly it requested my password and then wished to take me to Synaptic. As I was totally unsure if this was a good idea I stopped doing anything pending proper guidance.

Wondering if I had perhaps burned the DVD wrongly I attempted to load 2 disks from my magazine only to have the cannot find the autorun program yet again.

What should I be doing to achieve my aim of running Jaunty as a live DVD ?
    Last edited by Scunnered; October 7th, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
    If you are here to drink to forget please pay in advance.

Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11 a/b/g. 1GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Cannot find the autorun program

I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do. From the screenshot you gave, it looks like you are trying to run the live cd inside your existing Ubuntu installation. Is that right?

You can't really do that...to run a live cd, you need to put in the drive, reboot your computer, and then boot off the CD. When you get to the live cd, menu, then you can choose to "try Ubuntu before installing".

Also, to boot off your CD, you may have to press a key to get a temporary boot menu. It should tell you right as you turn your computer on, but on some computers it's F12.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

You don't need to autorun the disk once it's live environment is already loaded.
    If you want to install the OS there should be an "Install" icon on your desktop for that.
    You don't need to touch the package manager when running from the livecd

EDIT: If you are trying to upgrade your system to 9.10 from an earlier version of ubuntu, I'm sure there's an option for such if you boot from the 9.04 livecd. If not you could try a distro upgrade form within your current install.. but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Last edited by hirou; April 9th, 2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Realised what the intention is

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

kanikilu & hirou

My thanks to you both for your prompt replies. Please accept my apologies for the daft question as I appear to be suffering from senile decay. Imagine forgetting that you need to change the boot sequence in order to autorun.

Obviously it is the lack of my native drink. I will now immediately take restorative action.

Once again sorry to have troubled you
    If you are here to drink to forget please pay in advance.

Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11 a/b/g. 1GB RAM.