Thread: Bluetooth devices freeze system

Bluetooth devices freeze system

I have recently started using bluetooth (or at least trying) to connect a mouse and phone to my laptop using a generic bluetooth dongle.

The devices pair successfully and appear to work normally for between 5-10 mins- then the system completely freezes. PrtScr + SUB works sometimes but not always. The problem does not occur when the dongle is plugged in but not connected to the bluetooth devices (ie it is linked to communicating with the devices).

This problem exists with Intrepid and Jaunty on both 64bit and 32 bit editions, gnome and KDE.

I appreciate there threads talking about specific bluetooth devices freezing but this appears to be a bigger problem with bluetooth communication in general within Ubuntu.

I cannot provide logs as the system completely locks up and a power off is required (open to suggestions how to get some log info).

What is the bluetooth problem in Ubuntu and has anybody experienced these problems? Any ideas for getting a solution?

Toshiba Satelite L350-171
    Core 2 Duo T5800
    4 Gig Ram
    Intel GM45 graphics
    Generic bluetooth 2 USB dongle
    Last edited by porksome; April 9th, 2009 at 10:59 AM.

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Bluetooth devices freeze system

This is a good description of my problem as well. My Bluetooth mouse works for a few minutes then the system freezes. SysRq does not work at all.

It is not a hardware issue, since the mouse works for hours with no problems on Windows Vista.