Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto; Firefox profile in RAM for increased speed and stability

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    These is a sort-of simple alternative to this:

in /etc/fstab add line: tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    empty Cache in Firefox ...
    in about:config add string variable: browser.cache.disk.parent_directory with value /tmp
    done.

This way You get:
    a. /tmp is in memory ...
    b. Cache for FF is in memory.

This way You might have problems with:
    a. large files that should go in /tmp, rare situation ... in that case comment that line in fstab temporarily and use /dev/shm for parent_directory...
    b. ...

Difference from the method in this thread:
    a. this way only Cache is in memory and the rest of xxx.default folder is on disk but the main part of disk access is for Cache ...
    b. You do not have problem with updating profile ... it is on disk ...

Following line done occasionally in Terminal will enhance Your access to FF data-base: find ~/.mozilla/{firefox, firefox-3.5,firefox-3.6, whatever version You have}/ -type f -name "*.sqlite" -exec sqlite3 {} VACUUM \;
    Tried the OP solution, but didn't prove to me more efficient then quoted one from above. Yet, this is for a Desktop system with 1.2 MB dw...

As for sqlite I use an extension caled Vacuum Places - which does what's suppose to...

=====

I do have a question regarding /tmp... I used to store my FF cache temporarily in /dev/shm. As for /tmp - I have an assigned /tmp partion of 30 GB made at install, sho should be enough. But if you mount:

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

Don't you need to have next line mounted asswel:

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nvm, i'll move back to my original settings, don't want disable /tmp partition and is also cleaner that way.

All I did was /dev/shm/ to browser.cache.disk.parent_directory. done

Beans

When you are absolutely sure your line is correct save the file and exit the editor.

We must now empty the content of your .mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default directory. To do this we have to shut down Firefox completely to avoid Firefox from re-create the profile. You can copy the relevant part of the guide to a text file or use another browser for the next part, but you have to exit Firefox before erasing the content. Before you empty the folder, doublecheck that you have a copy of the content of .mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default in the directory .mozilla/firefox/profile and I recommend an extra copy somewhere safe.

When Firefox is closed erase the content of .mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default. Look down to the left corner in the Nautilus window and remember the amount of free space you have in your .mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default directory.

When this is done locate the file tmpfs_firefox.sh we created earlier and doubleclick it. A window will appear. Chose Run in terminal.
    You will now see a terminal window open and close very quickly. This is normal and due to the fact that the whole process went very quickly. The script mounted your Firefox profile into your computer's RAM. Double-click again on the file tmpfs_firefox.sh and select once more Run in terminal. The same thing happens as before but with the difference that the script synchronized the contents of the folder with your profile folder xxxxxx.default.

Now enter the folder xxxxxx.default. You should now see that the erased files are back.
    I don't know what i could do wrong but in my case ther aren't back.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789