Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Question Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 11.04

I am using VMware Players on my 5 Quad core Win 7 boxes I built. I had been using Ubuntu 9.04/10.10 as an OS for them. When I updated to v 11.04 my network adapters quit working in both VMware Players on 1 of my boxes. I checked the adapter settings against those on another box that is still working and they are all the same. What can/must I do to get them working again? I am using the adapters in the Nat. config. setting.
    I cant up or download anything on or to the VMware Players until I get a connection within them again.

Beans

Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

MSG below my 1st post, "Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply".

If I knew what a quick reply was or what the icons looked like I could do that. But as this is my 2nd post to the forums I have no idea what quick reply icons you are talking about.
    Last edited by JoeBnKY; December 7th, 2011 at 05:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBnKY View Post
    If I knew what a quick reply was or what the icons looked like I could do that. But as this is my 2nd post to the forums I have no idea what quick reply icons you are talking about.
    @JoeBnKY,
    In the lower right hand corner of each post are three icons: Quote, Multi-Quote This Message and Quick Reply. If you hover your mouse over the icons the names will appear.

Good Luck.
    AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Galaxy NVIDIA GT620 2GB, Biostar A880G+ mobo, dual-booting LinuxMint 14 Nadia MATE 64-bit , Windows 7 64-bit.

Beans

Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 11.04

That icon says, "Quick reply to this msg". not Activate Quick Replys. Why would I reply to my own question, I wouldn't post a question if I already had the answer.

Beans

Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBnKY View Post
    I am using VMware Players on my 5 Quad core Win 7 boxes I built. I had been using Ubuntu 9.04/10.10 as an OS for them. When I updated to v 11.04 my network adapters quit working in both VMware Players on 1 of my boxes. I checked the adapter settings against those on another box that is still working and they are all the same. What can/must I do to get them working again? I am using the adapters in the Nat. config. setting.
    I cant up or download anything on or to the VMware Players until I get a connection within them again.
    I'll wait until 6PM Thur night, 12-8, for somebody to answer then I guess I'll just delete those players and start from scratch.

Beans

Dear the link for blog which you have given is not open!

Beans

Virtualization Ubuntu 9 04

Thank you or your question.Could you please describe me a little more about user-mode kernel virtualization?I suppose that file / registry virtualization is enough, but we really would like to improve boxedapp, so it would be great to understand more what does user-mode kernel virtualization provide.Thank you.

Beans

Ubuntu Server is an extremely popular platform for virtualising data centres. Ubuntu Server provides KVM as the core option for both host and guest virtualisation. A wide variety of open-source and proprietary technologies are also used in conjunction with Ubuntu Server.

Open-source virtualisation

With each release Ubuntu Server offers more options for building and managing a virtualised environment. Open-source technologies are at the forefront of the modern virtualised environment, and the licence-free model of Ubuntu is ideally suited to the dynamic expansion and reduction of physical and virtual machines that are typical in these environments.

A low footprint operating system

Ubuntu Server can also be configured with a low footprint, creating the ideal base on which to build virtual machines. Ubuntu includes a Virtual Machine Builder which makes this process simple and replicable allowing multiple pre-configured machines to be deployed instantly. Users of Canonical's Landscape management tool will also find it an easy environment to manage as it makes no distinction between virtual and physical machines, allowing them to be managed through the same interface and in the same manner.

Ubuntu Server: ready for virtualisation

Our built-in hypervisor KVM, libvirt and our virtual host profile can get you ready to virtualise x86 workloads. To simplify hardware maintenance and to enable dynamic capacity balancing, live migration of guests between servers only requires that they share a common storage system. Memory aggregation can maximise the number of virtual machines when hosting the same operating systems and applications on the same server.

Improve performance with VirtIO drivers

VirtIO drivers provide virtual machines direct access to hardware which speeds performance and eases maintenance. If you need more throughput, you can dedicate specific hardware to virtual machines. The libvirt interface is becoming an open-source standard and part of the core Linux kernel with multiple third-party interfaces available.

The best guest OS

Ubuntu Server runs smoothly as a guest operating system on popular virtualisation technologies including Amazon EC2, VMware, Xen, Parallels, LXC, VirtualBox, and KVM. With one of the smallest footprints as a minimal install, you can easily base your virtual machines on Ubuntu Server and only add what you really need. We even provide you with tools to automate the build process of virtual machines that can be created, or recreated, in a matter of minutes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Virtual Box one of the best vitalization platforms that i had to work. VMWare quite unstable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I had been fed up with dual-booting and was looking for a suitable virtualization solution for a long time. It turned out that Xen provides by far the best solution*:

1. VGA passthrough to the (Windows 7/8) guest - full video hardware acceleration under Windows 7/8 VM.
    2. Excellent disk I/O performance when using GPLPV drivers in Windows VM - about as good as running Windows directly on the hardware.
    3. Efficient CPU scheduling - CPU resources are assigned dynamically between host (Linux dom0) and guest VM.
    4. Wide range of disk/storage options, incl. LVM (physical), file-based, or SATA controller passthru for direct AHCI access to the disk.
    5. Best documentation after VirtualBox - there is still a gap between the two, but then VirtualBox doesn't get anywhere close to the performance of Xen.
    6. Advanced server and cloud computing features - hot migration, etc.

I seriously don't know why Xen has been undervalued as it seems. I nearly passed on it myself, but luckily gave it a try.

If you want to run a virtual machine that offers near-native performance, or want to get rid of dual-booting, Xen is the best option. A typical example would be a gaming VM running a Windows guest for graphics intensive (3d) games.

P.S.: I myself am doing CPU and GPU intensive photo/graphics work in a Windows 7 virtual machine running on Xen/Linux Mint.

* EDIT: kvm seems to be picking up quickly. Those who aren't afraid going bleeding edge (=experimental) may want to give kvm a try. I'm specifically referring to VGA passthrough under kvm.
    Last edited by heiko_s; June 2nd, 2013 at 09:45 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112