Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

I'm having trouble getting VMware to work properly in Jaunty. I (mostly) followed the instructions from the first post, aside from running the vmware-install.pl before I found out that there'd be a problem...

I got it to open up and run, but as soon as I try to power on my first virtual machine, it gives my my first error as a gui:

Code:
    Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 168.0, got 161.0.
    You have an incorrect version of the `vmmon' kernel module.
    Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.
    I'm lost as to how to fix this. I'm (trying to) run VMware 6.0.4 Workstation.

As another aside, I have serial number through work for 6.0.4. Will that number activate 6.5 or whatever the version is that people have working on Jaunty?

Thanks a bunch

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Yes, moving forward, for me, vmware is more hassle then it is worth.

Don't get me wrong, 1.x is an awesome product, not as happy with 2.x.

KVM and virtualbox are both easier to install and maintain.

If you need to file share, learn a network protocol (ssh (scp) , samba, ftp, nfs, http) or use a flash drive.
    VMware was a dream in 8.04 and I can't leave it, my VM's are already in VMware format, I tried converting one to vortual box but it hangs on boot...

Beans

hi everyone this my first post.

im using ubuntu 9.04 and im trying to install vmware esx 3.1 i download the patch, and run the installer; but always i got the same error:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11/arch/x86/include

The path "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11/arch/x86/include" is an existing
    directory, but it does not contain at least one of these directories "linux",
    "asm", "net" as expected.

i already google and always the same, plz help ill appriciate.

now i got
    The path "/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include" is a kernel header file
    directory, but it does not contain the file "asm/page.h" as expected.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

google ...

thx
    Last edited by lunatiko; June 5th, 2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: update

Beans

I have just download the patch and ready to install hopefully works fine for me.

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...78#post7414378

Okay I have decided to stick with VMWare. Virtualbox opened up more problems which I don't need.

I just need to get a bridged network working again on VMware and stop to SOB from stealing my modifier keys. Once I get VMWare working on 9.04 I will never update again. I had 8.10 and everything was perfect, updating to 9.04 was the biggest mistake of my life!
    Can someone help me with my VMWare woe's please?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    Can someone help me with my VMWare woe's please?
    You basically have two problems :

1. VMWare does not support Ubuntu 9.04. So I suggest you downgrade to 8.04, which is a LTS release, or a supported OS.

2. You are asking an extremely technical question about a third party application that appears to be beyond the kowledge of this community.

Personally VMWare runs for me on 9.04 with essentially the same instructions as 8.10. It does not run well and while guests are booting my computer makes a long high pitched very irritating beep. Once the guest is done booting it all seems to be working normally, although I have not extensivly tested my guests.

Personally, at this piont, I have no need to run VMWare, KVM and Virtualbox both better integrate into Ubuntu and both seem to work better (for me) then VMWare.

Personally, I do not like the direction VMWar Server 2.0 is moving, 1.x is for me a much better product.

Becasue of those issues I am guessing community members are slowy moving away from VMWare, although I sure there are some very knowledgable people using VMWare.

Your other option is to post on the VMWare Forums :

http://communities.vmware.com/commun...ew=discussions
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I just finished reinstalling Ubuntu to 9.04. I'll go insane if I have to reinstall again. I have even more problems with Virtualbox than VMWare.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

all I did was type apt-get install virtualbox and it works great. also upgraded it with apt-get upgrade virtualbox.
    good stuff!
    Last edited by zuerston; June 11th, 2009 at 06:04 PM.

Beans

I got ubuntu 9.04 (guest) working perfectly with guest additions on Vista (host) with VirtualBox.

Will probably upgrade to Karmic next week.

Beans

imho OpenVZ http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/openvz.html should be mentioned since it is exremly fast and easy to setup because, for Debian and Ubuntu, there are .debs available

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast