Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Getting an application packaged

Can anyone please show me how to install Lyricue on Jaunty. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by alexcckll View Post
    OK - I did see some app that appears to be GPL3 licenced...

Get_IPlayer - goes off, grabs and reformats IPlayer streams for alternate players and doesn't require mucking about with Adobe AIR - which would preclude me until 2012 (staying LTS-LTS as that's what my vendor certifies)..

Available here - http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/

I'm not about to risk breaking my machine by installing independent apps.. would prefer as a relatively new user ot just go get them from the repos.

As I'm not sure about the Enhancement process - was it best for me to raise the support request... https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/u...question/69845 ?

Thanks,

Alex
    Have you tested running it in Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SentientFluid View Post
    Have you tested running it in Wine?
    It has a .deb and source available. hence asking Release Management to evaluate it to be AppAdded.

I'm not willing to take the risk of installing code outside the repos.. I don't know if it'll break my machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by alexcckll View Post
    It has a .deb and source available. hence asking Release Management to evaluate it to be AppAdded.

I'm not willing to take the risk of installing code outside the repos.. I don't know if it'll break my machine.
    As a general rule of thumb, there's nothing wrong with adding software from outside the Ubuntu repositories so long as you trust the source. If you don't trust the source then don't install it. My opinion is that if it's a commercially available program that you've used and liked on another system, then chances are the Linux port is just as good. Assuming the company is the one who created the port, that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah - except I was not enquiring about EasyWorship. The query is regarding this Get_Iplayer application.

I AM NOT A DEVELOPER. Therefore, I wouldn't really know what to look for in order to make sure it's safe to install etc. Instead - I trust Release Management to handle it.

Is a basic end-user the correct person to raise an Enhancement Request in order to get an app out there in the wild evaluated for Ubuntu inclusion and release? Or should I save up the £250 for a year's paid support, then phone Canonical?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12