MadWifi changed their web address from madwifi.org to madwifi-project.org, so that's why all the old links fail. Here's a run down of how I got mine (same wireless card, different laptop) up and running.
Yesterday some Ubuntu update outdated my HAL driver and my WLAN was rendered useless as a result. So, I checked some guides and ended up downloading a snapshot from here: http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org...current.tar.gz to '~/MadWifi'. Doesn't really matter where it's put, that just seemed like a nice and easy place, where I'd find it later, if I had some trouble again.
Unpacked the tarball with
Of course you can navigate to madwifi-project.org and figure out a path for WGet or SVN too, if you want to use them. I just used the simple download, since I had navigated to that site already and it was just one click away.
tar -xvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
Then it was just
Will probably get a big different name for the directory as they built it again today. Next, I figured garbage cleaning wouldn't hurt: Then the actual compiling of the data: And root access was required to install it: Then added 'ath_pci' to the list of modules automatically loaded at boot with:
After that it was just a reboot ahead (had to boot my system anyway at that point because of some other stuff), but this should get it up and running even without a boot:
gksudo gedit /etc/modules
sudo modprobe ath_pci