Thread: Xpress 200M is very slow

Beans

Xpress 200M is very slow

glxgears in Jaunty:
    1454 frames in 5.0 seconds = 290.765 FPS
    1737 frames in 5.0 seconds = 347.231 FPS
    1365 frames in 5.1 seconds = 269.623 FPS
    1718 frames in 5.0 seconds = 343.483 FPS

I had above 1100 FPS in 8.10. The full details about this bug can be found here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/347569
    Can this be fixed before the release? Very disappointed.

Beans

Re: Xpress 200M is very slow

Does somebody have the same problem with older ATI cards or only me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you revert your AccelMethod back to XAA, are you able to get the same perf numbers?

Beans

No.Unfortunately, XAA does not work for me. In 8.10, I tried the same driver - 6.12.1 and the same libdrm. They gave me above 1200 FPS in glxgears. In the standard 8.10 I had 1000-1100. Now, only 350.

Beans

Update:
    I tried PlanetPenguin Racer instead of glxgears, as psyke83 suggested here, and got only 8-10 FPS. So, something is definitely broken for Xpress 200m. This is the first time I notice a significant performance regression for this card under Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In intrepid, this card was supported by the closed source fglrx driver. The fglrx version in jaunty no longer supports this card - forcing you to use the open source ati driver. This would certainly account for the loss of opengl performance.
    Are you certain you were using the open source ati driver in intrepid?
    One of my machines also has this card. I had to override several X options to get satisfactory opengl and xrender acceleration. I can provide these if interested.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pferraro View Post
    In intrepid, this card was supported by the closed source fglrx driver. The fglrx version in jaunty no longer supports this card - forcing you to use the open source ati driver. This would certainly account for the loss of opengl performance.
    One of my machines also has this card. I had to override several X options to get satisfactory opengl and xrender acceleration. I can provide these if interested.
    Yes, please do provide.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pferraro View Post
    Absolutely. I used the latest driver from git in Intrepid. I believe the latest was 6.12.1. Since OS driver worked well for me, I even did not try to install fglrx. I also used updated libdrm. The newest libdrm + 6.12.1 gave me around 1200 FPS in glxgears and I expected the same in Jaunty.
    Now, I do not know what to do - the downgrading will take a lot of time.

I would like to try your options. Thank you in advance.

Beans

I have just tried Fedora 11 LiveCD - the same regression. Glxgears gave only 130 - 150 FPS.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello,

I have the same card and the same problem. I used fglrx in 8.10 because it enabled the capability to suspend to ram. I tried installing fglrx in 9.04 and X wouldn't start. So, I'm stuck with shutting down all the time. HOWEVER, compiz seems to work much nicer with this open source driver. With fglrx, firefox would scroll painfully slow and use 100% cpu if compiz was enabled- this being fixed is a step in the right direction for me. Now, if they could only get s2r to work...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast