Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Runes of Magic (Game for Wine)

Beans

Runes of Magic (Game for Wine)

Another post brought up a free RPG like Regnum Online or World of Warcraft called Runes of Magic. Woojoo claims to have luck with it but it didnt' work for me, but I'll pass on my experiences in hope that it does for someone else.

First, the Rom_Downloader doesn't work. It just crashes when trying to run with wine. Rather i had to download the full version. The full version does install but didn't allow input into the entry boxes till after i pressed the go button. Then I was able to register. When I tried start game, I got "Direct3D version does not match requirements." So it looks like Runes of Magic would be able to be used with wine. Doh!

lol, I think woojoo may've got me on this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Runes of Magic (Game for Wine)

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in fwiw.

I downloaded the client.

I installed the client to the latest wine.

I started the launcher which proceeded to download and execute update patches.

Once the patching was done I started the game. I was presented with a scenic view of a forest with a waterfall in the background and a running river cutting through the middle of the scene. There were also some birds flying around. There was also music. Also the mouse pointer had changed to what I assume is the game pointer. There were no dialog boxes present. Such a tease!

I could always boot to Windows and install but damn that sucks!

Any ideas?

Beans

Definitely got farther than i did. Would be bono to have this game run on linux.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, but it is still incredibly frustrating. Just so that you can see what I get I've included some screen shots attachments.

The first one shows the Launcher. Notice the two bottom left progress bars show 100% complete so I can assume the game is patched up to date.

The second one shows what I get when I click on the "start game" button on the launcher above. Also, I am not sure why the game cursor was not captured in the second screen shot. Also, notice the version number in the top right corner of the first screen shot.

Oh well! It still shows how powerful a program WINE is and I do appreciate all the hard work that goes into it! In the meantime, my resistance to booting to Windows is crumbling fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

You will probably have more success using the latest development version of WINE, 1.1.20 as of now.

Still no luck? press Alt+F2 and run 'winecfg' to configure WINE, on the Graphics tab switch the Direct3D shader support option.

On my pc it runs without hardware acceleration, but way too slow to be playable. Guess I'll need some real drivers before I can play, and that might take a while

Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply Junkieman.

I tried WINE, 1.1.20, but still no go.

I ran winecfg and switched the Direct3D shader support option, but still no go.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Beans

Installed wine 1.1.20 and the game is working for me , no problems at all .

Game is running slower than windows , but i guess that should be expected.

Installed , patched , played with wine 1.1.20 np.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ifyc576 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Junkieman.

I tried WINE, 1.1.20, but still no go.

I ran winecfg and switched the Direct3D shader support option, but still no go.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    That second (forest) screen you're at is normally where you enter your login username and password. Can you tell if the game has crashed at that point, or perhaps the login input fields aren't showing for some reason.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Junkieman:

Yeah the login fields do not appear. But, the EULA statement does not appear either. I can't tell if the game has crashed.

Thanks.

Beans

I'll add myself to the growing list that gets to the pretty animated forest & stream picture with music, but never see an EULA or logon window. Wine 1.1.21, Ubuntu 8.04, Linux Kernel 2.6.24.24.26, nVidia 6600 card. Doesn't appear to crash; I have to escape or close the window out.

An earlier WineHQ post indicated "start with -game -opengl" but I wasn't too sure what the context was...
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=38315

Just in case, there's apparently been some success by Germans adding winsock.dll to /home/username/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and then enabling it in wine under the libraries tab.
    Last edited by jmervyn; May 10th, 2009 at 12:00 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast