Thread: Request To Moderators: If You Close A Member's Post, Please Explain Why

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Request To Moderators: If You Close A Member's Post, Please Explain Why

Moderators,
    Would you please review my Inbox and / or my recent posts and explain why one of my recent posts was closed.

After posting and receiving one reply, a moderator closed my post but the reason s/he gave for closing the post made no sense whatsoever.

Further complicating the issue, I then sent what I thought was a PM to the member who had responded to me, but it turns out that it was not a Private message at all, but rather a visitor comment of some sort. For this I apologize as I truly thought I was sending a PM, not something that could be publicly read.

However, my mistake notwithstanding, I am still unaware of why my original post was closed to begin with...would one or more of you (moderator(s)) please review it and give me an explanation.

This forum/these forums provide immeasurable help to me in my day-to-day work, and I would prefer not to have any of my future posts closed due to some sort of infraction that I don't understand.

Thank you in advance for this.

~darksideforge
    Toshiba Satellite L45-S4687
    1GB RAM 80GB HDD
    DVD-RW 2GB Flash

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Request To Moderators: If You Close A Member's Post, Please Explain Why

Would you please provide some additional information such a a link to the closed thread ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

The message you left concerning a staff member was wholly inappropriate and very insulting. You may well have been banned from these Forums.
    The infraction you received was a very light response to the insult.

As for the closure explanation, it maybe brief ,but it explains our position. We are a Linux Forum not a Windows Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by darksideforge View Post
    Moderators,
    Would you please review my Inbox and / or my recent posts and explain why one of my recent posts was closed.

After posting and receiving one reply, a moderator closed my post but the reason s/he gave for closing the post made no sense whatsoever.

Further complicating the issue, I then sent what I thought was a PM to the member who had responded to me, but it turns out that it was not a Private message at all, but rather a visitor comment of some sort. For this I apologize as I truly thought I was sending a PM, not something that could be publicly read.

However, my mistake notwithstanding, I am still unaware of why my original post was closed to begin with...would one or more of you (moderator(s)) please review it and give me an explanation.

This forum/these forums provide immeasurable help to me in my day-to-day work, and I would prefer not to have any of my future posts closed due to some sort of infraction that I don't understand.

Thank you in advance for this.

~darksideforge
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

First, here is a link to the post in question:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1113027

Secondly, let me take a moment to apologize to bodhi.zazen for the name that I called him; in my defense, I thought that I was posting that comment as a Private Message to hyper_ch...I have never-before publicly called any forum member or moderator any names, and that INCLUDES hyper_ch, with whom I was in several *arguments* with several months ago regarding installing a GUI on the server in order to better learn the system. I don't know if I mis-read the link I was clicking or if I got mis-directed or what, only that that message was not intended for anyone's eyes other than hyper_ch. Regardless, again to bodhi.zazen I apologize...my anger toward you could have and should have been directed in a more constructive manner. I felt then, as I feel now, that your response (the reason you gave) for closing my post was incomplete and did not provide a satisfactory description for why you closed the post.

KiwiNZ: As for the closure explanation, it maybe brief ,but it explains our position. We are a Linux Forum not a Windows Forum.
    KiwiNZ, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there not an option for [other os] under the drop-down menu when originating a post? I thought so. You'll notice that I used that option to notify any potential readers/responders that my question dealt with an OS that was not Linux.

You will notice, I'm sure, that Microsoft Windows is discussed on this forum many many times every day, in some ways good and in some ways bad. Some people say good things about it and some people say bad things about it (as an OS). Numerous posts give explicit examples on how to make MS products perform better or perform a certain function to make it compatible with Linux. Your explanation then, is not an explanation at all, but rather an apparent attempt to express your displeasure at my language toward another member...and to an extent I understand that. And I have apologized for it. However, you still haven't answered the question I originally posed: Why was my thread closed? Because we aren't a Windows forum? Explain that to the thousands of users who post questions regarding Windows every day.

bodhi.zazen: "Thread closed. We do not support this type of activity on these forums."
    bodhi.zazen, when you have time, please take a moment to clarify your position. Thank you in advance.
    1GB RAM 80GB HDD
    DVD-RW 2GB Flash

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I will answer only to the specific question as to why I closed the thread, otherwise I will abstain from the conversation.

These forums are to support Ubuntu and your question is not about Ubuntu. Although people may ask about Fedora, Debian, or Windows, we are trying to direct people to more appropriate forums.

In your case your question is both very specialized and obviously Windows specific and as such I believe you should be asking on a Windows Support forum.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Request To Moderators: If You Close A Member's Post, Please Explain Why

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I will answer only to the specific question as to why I closed the thread, otherwise I will abstain from the conversation.

These forums are to support Ubuntu and your question is not about Ubuntu. Although people may ask about Fedora, Debian, or Windows, we are trying to direct people to more appropriate forums.

In your case your question is both very specialized and obviously Windows specific and as such I believe you should be asking on a Windows Support forum.
    Thank you VERY much! I appreciate you taking the time to respond and, while I do not agree with you from a philosophical viewpoint, I can understand that the forums are large enough to want to direct non-Ubuntu specific questions toward a different venue.

In hindsight, I should have come to you *here* first as opposed to venting to another member. Again, please accept my apologies for that...it won't happen again.

And also thank you again for the clarification on this.
    1GB RAM 80GB HDD
    DVD-RW 2GB Flash

Beans

Thank you for your apology to bodhi.zazen
    This account is not active.