Thread: How to increase Ubuntu /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

Beans

How to increase Ubuntu /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

I am NEW to Linux and have ran out of space on the /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk. Is there a way to increase this space available for Ubuntu files.
    I have duel boot xp/ubuntu. Ubuntu is running along side or ontop of Windows if I understand correctly how I installed it. Both OS's are on the same D: physical drive which is one partition of 76 gigs of which there is 33 gigs free.

df -h reports

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    13G 13G 131M 99% /
    tmpfs 505M 0 505M 0% /lib/init/rw
    varrun 505M 200K 505M 1% /var/run
    varlock 505M 0 505M 0% /var/lock
    udev 505M 3.0M 502M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 505M 296K 505M 1% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda1 77G 34G 43G 45% /host
    lrm 505M 2.0M 503M 1% /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/volatile

gparted shows
    /dev/sda1
    ntfs
    /boot,/host D Drive
    Size 76.32 GiB
    Used 33.59 GiB
    Free 42.73 GiB
    Flags - boot

How can I change the size of /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk?
    Last edited by wlbragg; April 7th, 2009 at 05:59 AM.

Beans

Re: How to increase Ubuntu /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

You can use LVPM to increase the size of the virtual drive. See here.
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

You are a lifesaver, thank you very much. I wasn't sure exactly how Ubuntu was installed. This explains the whole thing in my instance. Thanks again!

Beans

Any idea why LVPM hangs when resizing the above virtual root.disk?

It appears to just sit there at the beginning (10%) or so of the progress meter. I let it go for a couple hours with no change in progress.

I was resizing the 13GiB root.disk to approx. 25GiB (25600 MB in LVPM) which would leave approx 18-19GiB free space on the hard drive. After closing it and booting back into Windows I see that it made a 23GiB new.disk but after moving original and renaming new.disk to root.disk Ubuntu failed to boot. Looks like it made the virtual disk but didn't transfer any files to it?

I ran LVPM from Ubuntu/Applications menu. I thought maybe Apache/Tomcat/MySQL servers running were possibly causing problems so I tried again with them off. No other applications running other than default Ubuntu startup.

Am I doing something wrong or does it take several "HOURS" to create the new virtual disk on a 3200+ processor with 1 GiB ram and I should let it sit there with no progress longer? It looked like the HD light was polling at a consistent loop, if that helps any?

Forget about the above I got it to work by reinstalling LVPM! It did take a little bit over an hour to resize the root.disk from 13GiB to 25GiB!
    Last edited by wlbragg; April 8th, 2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Fixed the problem