Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BoxBlaze - Xbox 360 ISO burning tool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

BoxBlaze - Xbox 360 ISO burning tool

I've created a simple frontend for growisofs that helps the user burn an Xbox 360 ISO to a dual layer DVD. Wicked (http://www1.roob.us:53535/blog/) created the original CLI version, and of course I asked for his permission before creating a GUI for it.

The script doesn't really do a whole lot in its current state. It asks the user for a file to burn, checks if the filesize sounds resonable for an Xbox 360 ISO, and then burns it to a DVD. If for some reason the user decides to try to burn something completely different (a .png, .ogg, a directory, etc.) the script won't stop them - just warn them. However, I'm pretty sure growisofs will spit out some kind of error if you try.

This script has both a GUI and a CLI version. The CLI version usage is: ./BoxBlaze.sh --no-gui /full/path/to/game.iso

The dependencies are (although it should work using the CLI option even without it) Zenity and growisofs. Both of these packages should be installed by default in Ubuntu.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, or comments, please post them here. Note that this is the first time I'm using Zenity, and I'm not exactly an experienced bash scripter, so I won't take offence if you point out some obvious flaw. However, I'm trying it out live now, and it seems to be working just fine.

Anyway, enough talk. The script is available at my blog, which can be found here.

To use it, save it to your desktop, make it executable (sudo chmod u+x ~/Desktop/script_name.sh) and then just run it by double clicking. If you want to use the CLI option just run it from the command line by typing ./script_name.sh --no-gui /full/path/to/game.iso

Note that if this makes your DVD burner blow up, kill your cat and burn down your house, I take absolutely no responsibility. The same applies if it ruins your DVDs. I would also recommend that you read up on what DVDs to use, and the neccessary modifications you need to make to your Xbox before you do anything.
    Last edited by Nevon; April 8th, 2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Fixed the bug with CLI option

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: BoxBlaze - Xbox 360 ISO burning tool

Does the Xbox need to be modded to be able to play those DVD's?
    Keyboard not found!

Press any key to continue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfuturamanoob View Post
    Does the Xbox need to be modded to be able to play those DVD's?
    Yes. They do not work on unmodified Xboxes. However I would prefer not to discuss that here, as the Ubuntuforums administrators might not approve of it. However, if you google for Xbox 360 chipping/flashing you'll find more information.

Beans

hey cool to see you finally did something with this script. Ive updated some of the articles over at http://blog.roob.us and moved the blog from http://www1.roob.us:53535/blog/ to http://blog.roob.us

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    Yes. They do not work on unmodified Xboxes. However I would prefer not to discuss that here, as the Ubuntuforums administrators might not approve of it. However, if you google for Xbox 360 chipping/flashing you'll find more information.
    Yea be careful the mods here are evil and they will eat your souls for breakfast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Yea be careful the mods here are evil and they will eat your souls for breakfast.
    I may be walking a thin line, but at least I'm careful about where I set down my foot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Nice man. Just one question (sorry for doubting) does this change the size of the first layer or not?

P.S. The blog link seems dead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Gushter13 View Post
    Nice man. Just one question (sorry for doubting) does this change the size of the first layer or not?

P.S. The blog link seems dead
    It doesn't change the size of the first layer, however, it does set the layer break to the correct position for Xbox 360 isos - if that's what you were wondering.

As it turns out, I'm actually trying to rewrite this in Python, which allows me to do better better sanity checks, properly auto-find DVD-burners with the right comparability, and build a proper GUI. However, doing it in Python is also damned hard - as I have to make it multithreaded, which really is a pain when you're also using a GUI toolkit. I'll be sure to bump this thread once I've got it released. But don't hold your breath, because I'm sure it'll take a while, as I'm also working hard on Caffeine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you for your quick reply.

Beans

Talking Re: BoxBlaze - Xbox 360 ISO burning tool

Working very fine. Thank you very much for this script! Now I have it as a nautilus script and burning a dvd is fast and easy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast