Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KDE's Weak Spot - Theming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: KDE's Weak Spot - Theming

With gnome I have to edit the background properties xml in order to have the wallpaper available multi-user.
    no you just add it to the /usr/share/backgrounds/images folder (or anywhere for that matter).
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; April 27th, 2006 at 04:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NetInsanity
    Break the walls, go to kde-look.org and download any of tenths of thousands of combinations.
    And do what with these downloads? Thats where I hit the wall with KDE themes.

With Gnome themes I download them in a tar file from Gnome Look. I then drag and drop this tar file onto the Gnome Theme Manager to install the theme. In one sec its ready for use.

If I am lucky some KDE themes have debs. Otherwise I must compile something or manually put some file in some random place (or use alien, or give up).

I don't know if anyone would care to argue that KDE is better or worse than Gnome. I will argue that overall its easier to install Gnome themes. I think the parent poster is saying the same thing.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    no you just add it to the /usr/share/backgrounds/images folder (or anywhere for that matter).
    If I want wallpaper available to ALL users in the application System > Preferences > Desktop Background you have to edit /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ubuntu-wallpapers.xml to include the additional wallpaper. Remember this is for all users, not just my local settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by warp99
    If I want wallpaper available to ALL users in the application System > Preferences > Desktop Background you have to edit /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ubuntu-wallpapers.xml to include the additional wallpaper. Remember this is for all users, not just my local settings.
    i've never had to do that. strictly speaking, its available to all users - ie all users have access to it. when you change the wallpaper by right clickin on the desktop and selecting 'change wallpaper'(or something like that), it brings up a dialogue where you have a list of local wallpapers, but with the option of adding to it. now when you add to it, it remembers the global wallpaper location. thats no more involved than it is in kDE. as a matter of fact, kde doesn't point to the global wallpapers by default (or it doesn't in suse anyway). you have to store the global wallpaper location as a bookmark, and point to it that way each and every time. the number of mouse clicks is far less in gnome, if thats a yardstick to judge by.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; April 27th, 2006 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    i've never had to do that. strictly speaking, its available to all users - ie all users have access to it. when you change the wallpaper by right clickin on the desktop and selecting 'change wallpaper'(or something like that), it brings up a dialogue where you have a list of local wallpapers, but with the option of adding to it. now when you add to it, it remembers the global wallpaper location. thats no more involved than it is in kDE. as a matter of fact, kde doesn't point to the global wallpapers by default (or it doesn't in suse anyway). you have to store the global wallpaper location as a bookmark, and point to it that way each and every time. the number of mouse clicks is far less in gnome, if thats a yardstick to judge by.
    That is correct all users have access to the wallpaper in gnome, but it's not in the list from the Desktop Background app. Each user would have to go and add the wallpaper to there local list. By editing ubuntu-wallpapers.xml the wallpaper is in the list for all users. This reduces confusion with inexperienced users trying to find the wallpaper I just added.

In KDE if you just drop the wallpaper into /usr/share/wallpapers, which is the global wallpaper location with Kubuntu, it will show up in the choose wallpaper list even without a *.desktop reference file.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm going to second what most people have said here - as much as I enjoy KDE and it's apps (much more than GNOME), installing new themes is still a PITA. I don't like having to search for DEBs for the theme I want, or having to compile source code just to change my window decoration.

Hopefully the changes that I've heard for theming in KDE4 will come to frutition.
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234