Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KDE's Weak Spot - Theming

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: KDE's Weak Spot - Theming

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    NetInsanity is our new resident jester recently transferred from the Chipped Shoulder Society. the scary part is, i think he actually believes what he says .
    Nice, of course, since you added absolutely nothing to the discussion but took up the space you know what that makes you...

Get back under your bridge.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    NetInsanity is our new resident jester recently transferred from the Chipped Shoulder Society. the scary part is, i think he actually believes what he says .
    True, which is why it's useless to put forth effort for a response Seems to fit the profile of the angry, sweaty, ranting OSS dev to a T.
    Killed my Edgy/XP dual-boot for now, moved to Vista. So far, so good.
    Cool Links: DAPreview (MP3 Player News & Reviews) | Deadspin (Sports news with a twist)

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I love KDE (it's my main desktop environment now), but I have to admit that the theming is weak.

The themes generally look terrible (I've been all over KDE-look), and most are quite difficult to install. Luckily for me, I like Plastik.
    Break the walls, go to kde-look.org and download any of tenths of thousands of combinations.

You are limiting yourself and i can understand it, but the truth is, no interesting theme is EVER going to be included in Ubuntu repos.

I'd suggest you save default as you like it, or as something else and do the chanbes in increments, you can generally rollback everything... eh, generally, unlike gnome you don't change the actual themes until you hit save or save as.

KDE isn't like gnome, it's actually thought through.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Super King
    True, which is why it's useless to put forth effort for a response Seems to fit the profile of the angry, sweaty, ranting OSS dev to a T.
    Do you knwo the definition of a troll?

There are two in this thread, a lot of posting, a lot of boasting, no solutions, no nothing...

It's almost like the Gnome team invaded my thread.

Beans

The best thing I like about KDE is how you can specify your own colour scheme, and how it applies to applications from all other GUI toolkits like GTK1, GTK2, motif, TK/tcl...
    That really made everything look great for me, since I use a few programs which GTK2 replacements can't be found for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NetInsanity
    Break the walls, go to kde-look.org and download any of tenths of thousands of combinations.
    Oh, I've tried--believe me. One time I had a theme that broke my Konqueror, and I had to delete my ~/.kde directory just to get things back to normal. No, I actually like Plastik.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMay16
    The best thing I like about KDE is how you can specify your own colour scheme, and how it applies to applications from all other GUI toolkits like GTK1, GTK2, motif, TK/tcl.
    That really made everything look great for me, since I use a few programs which GTK2 replacements can't be found for.
    In FC5 i use qt-gtk and run my KDE theme in gnome too, i kinda need to gnome stuff, but not for long, i'd say that the people in at least France, Germany, Netherrlands, Denmark and Sweden, KDE is the future.

Since Novell was huge in Europe and believe it or not, many, MANY networks are still running Novell, Suse is the obvious update, that goes for companies and that goes for state...

However, that guy down there with his gamepad in his hand ready to try to go up to up with me... should i pick him apart or should i leave him to do that himself...

This is an emergancy, jack at the third floor is shaking with anticipation.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

No, I actually like Plastik.
    Yeah plastik rules.
    (even more when you set it with cystal decoration@hand painted buttons and "pure technology" color scheme IMO)
    registered linux user # 401083
    Games i like: Maniadrive, Neverball, quake4

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Oh, I've tried--believe me. One time I had a theme that broke my Konqueror, and I had to delete my ~/.kde directory just to get things back to normal. No, I actually like Plastik.
    You should have gone with some lie how it trashed something because of a let through virus, because...

NO, unless you or someone else physically forsed the trashing, it did not happen[/QUOTE]

And right now you are being tied down in a basement typing with your eyelashes?

See how that works, once a liar, always a liar.

Beans

The problem with KDE is that no default application for theming is installed like with gnome. In KDE once you know were the config files are it's very easy to install themes with a simple edit, but for a "modern" desktop it's kind of a throwback. KDE should add a theme manager by default with multi-user config options.

The one gripe I have with gnome is wallpaper. With KDE it's very simple if I want the wallpaper available multi-user I just drop the wallpaper into usr/share/wallpapers. With gnome I have to edit the background properties xml in order to have the wallpaper available multi-user.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast