Thread: How to transfer printer driver files to another computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How to transfer printer driver files to another computer?

I have an old laptop running Feisty that prints fine but I need to install a the same printer on another computer also running Feisty.
    I assume I could just copy the files needed from one computer to the other & then install the printer. But the trick is knowing what files i need.
    To install the original drivers I had to install csh which was no problem at the time but since Feisty is no longer supported "apt-get install csh" doesn't work any longer so I'm trying to figure an alternative way to install my Brother MFC 420CN.
    Any ideas
    Gary

I wish I knew what I used to know before I knew what I didn't know.

Beans

Re: How to transfer printer driver files to another computer?

maybe you can download the files manually from here and put on a thumb drive or cd and manually install them on the other machine

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

or you possibly can change the sources.list file to point to there
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks for the ideas but I'm still a little lost with where to go from here.

If I could only figure out what files i needed for my printer I could just copy from the Feisty computer where the printer's working to the Feisty one that's not.
    Gary

I wish I knew what I used to know before I knew what I didn't know.

Beans

according to openprinting.org http://openprinting.org/show_printer...ther-MFC-420CN there are native drivers on the brothers website. Maybe try downloading that and installing and it should prompt you for any missing files

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Look in /etc/cups/ppd for files ending in ".ppd". If you have any, copy them off to USB stick.

You can use the ppd files in your other machine to install the printers.