Thread: !!! Different Wallpapers for Different Desktops !!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

!!! Different Wallpapers for Different Desktops !!!

Hi,
    Coming straight to the point, is it possible in any way that we have different wallpapers for different desktops in Ubuntu 8.10
    I have been trying but found nothing related that.
    I think in Kubuntu, we can but in Ubuntu no idea.
    Any suggestions?
    I want to enjoy my Ubuntu a little bit more.

--
    Regards
    Umar Farooq

Registered ubuntu user # 26747

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: !!! Different Wallpapers for Different Desktops !!!

Yes, there is. You will need CompizConfig Settings Manager, if you don't have it, you can find it in synaptic. Once installed it will be in System, Preferences, CompizConfig Settings Manager. Open it, go to Utility, Wallpaper, make sure it is checked, then click on the icon to open it and choose choose Add to pick your wallpaper. Add as many wallpapers as you have desktops.

Once you have done that, close out the Settings Manager. Now you will have to stop nautilus from drawing your desktop. Alt F2 and enter
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    > applications > nautilus > preferences > untick "show-desktop".

Be aware however that once you do this, you will no longer be able to use desktop icons unless you go to Places, Desktop, and select them from there.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gettinoriginal View Post
    Yes, there is. You will need CompizConfig Settings Manager, if you don't have it, you can find it in synaptic. Once installed it will be in System, Preferences, CompizConfig Settings Manager. Open it, go to Utility, Wallpaper, make sure it is checked, then click on the icon to open it and choose choose Add to pick your wallpaper. Add as many wallpapers as you have desktops.

Once you have done that, close out the Settings Manager. Now you will have to stop nautilus from drawing your desktop. Alt F2 and enter
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    > applications > nautilus > preferences > untick "show-desktop".

Be aware however that once you do this, you will no longer be able to use desktop icons unless you go to Places, Desktop, and select them from there.
    ok,
    so will my changing wallpaper XML-wall work properly with this different desktop setting?
    --
    Regards
    Umar Farooq

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Be aware however that once you do this, you will no longer be able to use desktop icons unless you go to Places, Desktop, and select them from there.[/QUOTE]

It means I cannot select other compiz setting as "cube"
    & the other thing is that 3D effects will also work well or they will be disabled?
    --
    Regards
    Umar Farooq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

All of the compiz eye candy will still work, all you are doing is letting compiz control the wallpaper on each desktop, and taking it away from nautilus so icons will not show on the new "wallpaper".
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums