View Poll Results: How do you like Ubuntu on your Mac as opposed to Mac OS*X*?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

6 85.71%
  • Pretty good

1 14.29%
  • It could be better

0 0%
  • Switching back to Mac OS*X, this sucks!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rEFIT on Ubuntu partition

Beans

Question rEFIT on Ubuntu partition

Hi guys

I installed Ubuntu on my Macbook Air's whole hard drive, thus completely (or as much as possible) removing Mac OS X.

In order to boot into Ubuntu I use the external superdrive with a burned rEFIT CD.

Where on my HD should I install rEFIT so that I can boot without attaching my external drive each time?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards

Adam

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: rEFIT on Ubuntu partition

Quote Originally Posted by bludimnd View Post
    Hi guys

I installed Ubuntu on my Macbook Air's whole hard drive, thus completely (or as much as possible) removing Mac OS X.

In order to boot into Ubuntu I use the external superdrive with a burned rEFIT CD.

Where on my HD should I install rEFIT so that I can boot without attaching my external drive each time?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards

Adam
    refit wont boot from a linux partition.
    Usually create a small hfsplus partition on the HD or a USB stick, install it there and then run OSX to bless it with enable-sh. Usually the HD is partitioned as a GPT disk, but can work for a MSDOS disk. However you need to run OSX (from DVD or HD or USB) to enable it.
    i.e. refit cant bless itself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    refit wont boot from a linux partition.
    Usually create a small hfsplus partition on the HD or a USB stick, install it there and then run OSX to bless it with enable-sh. Usually the HD is partitioned as a GPT disk, but can work for a MSDOS disk. However you need to run OSX (from DVD or HD or USB) to enable it.
    i.e. refit cant bless itself.
    Thank you for your reply. So basically once I've made the partition and installed rEFIT on it, I just need to insert the Mac*OS*X DVD, or actually install Mac OS*X and then run it?

Either way, since my Mac OS*X DVD*is damaged it probably won't work. Any other way of blessing it? I have another Mac with Mac OS*X on it that is working, can I somehow use that?

Kind regards

Adam

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for your reply. So basically once I've made the partition and installed rEFIT on it, I just need to insert the Mac*OS*X DVD, or actually install Mac OS*X and then run it?

Either way, since my Mac OS*X DVD*is damaged it probably won't work. Any other way of blessing it? I have another Mac with Mac OS*X on it that is working, can I somehow use that?

Kind regards

Adam
    Yes you can possibly bless it from another mac using target firewire connection, if it is on a hfsplus partiton (or install and bless on usb stick) You only need bless initially.

But it might be possible to boot without using refit.

EDIT: In fact, you should be able to boot using the option key without refit, because refit just uses the Apple msdos compatibility mode to boot linux.
    Last edited by pxwpxw; April 6th, 2009 at 11:37 AM.

Beans

Yes you can possibly bless it from another mac using target firewire connection, if it is on a hfsplus partiton (or install and bless on usb stick) You only need bless initially.

But it might be possible to boot without using refit.

EDIT: In fact, you should be able to boot using the option key without refit, because refit just uses the Apple msdos compatibility mode to boot linux.
    Can I install and bless on USB*stick, then copy from USB*stick onto Linux HFSplus partition on Ubuntu?

I do not want to have to use an external drive to boot my laptop each time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Can I install and bless on USB*stick, then copy from USB*stick onto Linux HFSplus partition on Ubuntu?

I do not want to have to use an external drive to boot my laptop each time.
    You can copy the files, but the blessing stays with the original.
    You need check if you can make an hfsplus partition with gparted, hfsplus formatting is not usually available from ubuntu (not on my ubuntu904).

Booting from a usb stick works, it can be unplugged once linux is booted.

But have you tried booting directly using the option key, without the external drive and without refit. It should work, but may take about 30 seconds to get to the Apple 'Windows' disk icon to boot that way. Thats the easy way if it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need check if you can make an hfsplus partition with gparted, hfsplus formatting is not usually available from ubuntu (not on my ubuntu904).
    parted magic can.

Beans

Option key brings up wireless networks to choose. No partitions, or OS.

I didn't use Bootcamp. Could that be the problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Option key brings up wireless networks to choose. No partitions, or OS.

I didn't use Bootcamp. Could that be the problem?
    Oh, sorry I forgot you are on a MBAir, I need to think about that.

Beans

Oh, sorry I forgot you are on a MBAir, I need to think about that.
    How would I install rEFIT on a USB*driver? This might actually be an excellent security solution for my employees!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast