Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't make you mad.....

FX is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Doesn't make you mad.....

Not to start a flame war, but man it really burns me when game makers use Linux for a server but cannot create a client for Linux.

Two that I can think of and I know there are more, but Battlefield 2 and Counter Strike.

Just wonder what if anything can be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Doesn't make you mad.....

To be honest, Transgaming worked with Valve to get Steam running with Cedega, so why would they bother making a Linux version?

ALso, there are many more Linux servers running Linux(as a percentage of total servers) out there.

Not that I disagree with you, mind you. It is rather frustrating at times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps it's my lack of understanding on the matter, but isn't it much more difficult to write a linux 'client' for a game, rather than a server? The server has nothing graphic wise to display on screen, so it's much less work. When writing a game for linux, they can't use directX, and supposedly, it's much faster to write a game in directX than in opengl. Don't get me wrong, i'de much prefer opengl, however, why would most take a longer dev cycle for such a small market? What really needs to be done is an objective study of how many linux users Vs win users, rather than just sales; that usually helps windows and kill linux (people buying dells twice within the couple years the study is cover, and people downloading linux rather than buying it preloaded [once again, I prefer the downloading, however thier needs to be a proper method of measuring this]). The other idea could be a central linux registry where people can volunteerly register themselves as linux users, however the problem would be people doing it twice or more, and people who would not be comfortable registering. The only way I see more company's using opengl and porting to linux is if they know thier is a good market; or somone could blow up Microsoft........... fire solves all problems, dosn't it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was saying the exact same thing over at my friend's house a few nights ago because we all wanted to play CS and we got into a long talk about how all these companies are making Linux servers for their games and no linux clients!

I can understand why, just because there are still more Windows gamers than Linux games out there, and most of these games are made with DirectX instaead of OpenGL (or both for that matter). For now I am using Cedega to keep my Linux Box running games, and if worse comes to worse, I still have my wonderfully horrible Windows box to play the games Linux won't.

FX is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Same here as using windows. I basically use Linux for internet/email/chat and that stuff.

I know there are some games I could get working in Linux, but I really don't want to put that much effort into it. (Yes I'm lazy, I like the easy install MS has for games.) Plus whenever I am playing a game I run TeamSpeak and so far on Linux I have not been able to get both TS and games to play well together.

Hopefully someday this might change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

. The other idea could be a central linux registry where people can volunteerly register themselves as linux users, however the problem would be people doing it twice or more, and people who would not be comfortable registering.
    There IS a voluntary register of linux users;
    http://counter.li.org/

I have registered on there. He currently guesses at linux users to be 29 million.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bonzodog
    There IS a voluntary register of linux users;
    http://counter.li.org/

I have registered on there. He currently guesses at linux users to be 29 million.
    Thanks for the link, I was not aware of it's existance. However, I was talking about a central registry, one that all the distros recommend. Something they would list on thier front page and encourage users to register, If that dosn't catch the corprate eye, what will?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

yeah, it would be a good idea, if there could be a centralised database of linux users, so people just 'register' that they are downloading a distro on a central database, which could then collate figures. the only problem with this is, one person could be doing multiple downloads due to bad chacksums or something.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

I just wanted to pipe in and agree with the original poster as this has something that has pissed me off for several years. I know why it is the way it is, and I don't expect it to change, but I still think it stinks.

Cheers,
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout
    Thanks for the link, I was not aware of it's existance. However, I was talking about a central registry, one that all the distros recommend. Something they would list on thier front page and encourage users to register, If that dosn't catch the corprate eye, what will?
    The corporate eye wouldn't believe it, and neither would I. Like the counter that is in place, it will be unusably inaccurate. Between users that don't register due to explicit refusal or users that are unaware of its existance, it would be too low. Due to users that download Linux, install it, register, then return to Windows never to be seen again because they are confused, it would be waaaay inflated.

Cheers,
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast