Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doesn't make you mad.....

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Doesn't make you mad.....

Chances are, the amount of money that would be spend on porting non-free games to Linux (hiring new devs, etc), is to high for what the companies will gain. Sure, a Linux version of all games would be nice, but in general, Linux users don't like spending money on non-free applications, and the ones that do, are a considerably low number (unless companies know the games will earn so much that spending some extra bucks wont matter, à la Doom, Neverwinter, etc.).
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

That's why the best method for a company to do is from the beginning of the project define the goal of being cross platform (much like Cold War was) this of course limits them to using OpenGL, but I don't see that as an issue with OpenGL 2.0. But that will seriously make developing it much better, and overall can increase testing and stability of the software.

Unfortunately most developers of games are whores to the microsoft cause and don't give a crap about anything else.

What I want to know is if there is a Mac versio of Raven Shield, why can't we have a port of if to Linux? That's one of the few games that I just love and occasionally have to reboot to windows to play it (it doesn't work in wine or Cedega the last few times I tried).

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Linux users don't like spending money on non-free applications
    I don't think this is true. I know when I was a windows user I pirated every game I played, however, now that I use Linux I appreciate copyright more and I buy games that come out for Linux.

It seems to me that a large percentage of Linux users like playing games and love it when companies release Linux versions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12