Thread: Can't start Windows Vista in VirtualBox... all of a sudden!

Beans

Can't start Windows Vista in VirtualBox... all of a sudden!

I wanted to start Windows Vista today in its VM and I got the follwing message:

PIIX3 cannot attach drive to the Secondary Master (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
    Unknown error creating VM (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {e3c6d4a1-a935-47ca-b16d-f9e9c496e53e}
    I don't recall fiddling with files related to VirtualBox or the VM or the kernel. So I'm at a loss as where to start looking for an answer and a fix. Your help will be appreciated!
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't start Windows Vista in VirtualBox... all of a sudden!

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    I wanted to start Windows Vista today in its VM and I got the follwing message:

I don't recall fiddling with files related to VirtualBox or the VM or the kernel. So I'm at a loss as where to start looking for an answer and a fix. Your help will be appreciated!
    I know this sounds stupid but check it out anyway.

Did you by chance have a cd in the drive and mount it? Live cd, guest additions, or something like that.

If so you can either put the cd back in and boot or look at the vbox .xml file to see what the problem might be. It is looking for a secondary drive of some kind.

Beans

Excellent hint Perryg! I unmounted the CD-ROM drive and was able to get back into Vista.

Thanks for your answer!
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    Excellent hint Perryg! I unmounted the CD-ROM drive and was able to get back into Vista.

Thanks for your answer!
    You are welcome.