Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux is free... but...

Beans

Re: Linux is free... but...

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Can you please enlighten us: what was this company called? And what was the game that put this company out of business?
    I'm trying to find it. It's in a random PC Gamer magazine lying around my apartment. I'll post it when I find it.

Beans

i have donated alittle bit, i brought a mug, and some stickers, a mousemat, and some other stuff. and i seed the torrent, admitingly only at 10kbs, but if every user seeded at 10kbs then it would add up.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes , I have already been thinking that I should at least buy some t-shirts.
    Ubuntu has some nice apparel.
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. Obey the principle without being bound by it. This my friend, is the GnuFu.
    Geeks die, but the Linux kernel lives forever.

Beans

I want one of the messenger bags so bad....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by bryonak View Post
    You're right on the spot... in the spirit of the GPL itself, everyone should try to contribute back to the community.

Just one little thing I don't get about your post:
    OpenGEU started out as GEUbuntu (Gnome-Enlightenment-Ubuntu). Since Canonical doesn't want alpha software in their repos, which is completely understandable, they don't include E17, which in turn is heavily used by GEU.
    They could however still use Ubuntu's repos for the bulk of the software (like Linux Mint does), but then they'd have to write wrappers to ensure E17 running smoothly and wouldn't have much control over the repos. Instead they chose to create their own (maybe they didn't want to leech bandwidth from Canonical?).
    They changed the name because of Canonical's branding clause, which IMO is perfectly understandable as well.

On the other hand, there's lots of people who will simply download (or "pirate") software because they want it without giving anything back.
    I don't think those people will read this forum, and they won't change their behaviour because the software is "free".
    We will get more and more of those as FOSS is becoming popular among the masses.

So... not to spread dissonance, but who exactly are you accusing of exploitation? Because there's clearly some blaming going on in your OP (side by side with the respectable call for contribution).
    I think I read on the OpenGEu forums the reason for the rebranding... IIRC Canonical never reponded to their requests... therefore the name change.

Working from memory here so please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    No offense, but while I have no problems helping out with things in terms of tech support and the like, I'm not going to be pouring money into it. I can get windows 100% free legally (college discs I have and a relative who gets them from work). The day Linux becomes more expensive than Windows is the day I go back.

The underlying point here is actually a fairly ironic one: the projects can only survive via donations, which makes them effectively businesses, albeit not-for-profit ones.
    You have a lot to learn it seems,,,

If you are getting windows through education channels, that would be legal on if you are a qualified student or education member.

If you are obtaning windows through a relative that does not own the copies or liscenses his employer paid for, that is illegal. You can brag about your connections, but be mindful who you make them to. Or you might just get burned.

You don't have to pay for Linux and likely never will. My post has nothing to do with commercializing Linux. But rather looking out for each other in the community. Helping out in any way we can, be it tech support, coding and with donations. There is no dotten line detailing you have to do all or none... it is voluntary.

And there not need to be any shame on to those than can't code or offer support and choose to give a small donation. The reality is, that to get us what we need, there are certain costs involved.
    OpenGEU 8.10 Luna Serena 64bit
    AMD Athlon-X2 6000+ / 8gb DDR2-800 RAM / Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H / Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT / 640gb HD
    Acer Aspire 6530 : AMD Athlon X2 / 3gb DDR2-667 RAM / ATI HD3200 / 250gb HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I agree with you.

Unfortunately some people are like that... I must say it again... unfortunately MOST of the people are like that.

Ask to become a repository you don't have to give money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

well- I just bought a mousemat thanks to this thread and will be buying more bits and pieces for birthday presents etc.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by azredwing View Post
    That's tough. A lot of people scream for free-as-in-speech software, but in reality they're looking for the free beer. This bothers me a LOT. How many of us are only running Ubuntu because it's free? How many of us secretly LIKE Windows/OSX, but only justify using Ubuntu endlessly because it's free? (Let's not start that war here, please.)
    If you can install ubuntu, you can pirate windows.

Its super easy.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Warpnow that isn't appropriate. Piracy is illegal, that's why its called piracy.
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I bought some merchandise from the Canonical store and now that I have an online-capable funds card I'll start donating to worthy projects.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast