Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux users, creatures of the night?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux users, creatures of the night?

One of the things that I quickly clung onto with computers is that they were a wonderful outlet during episodes of really bad insomnia in my youth. I've gone as long as 4 days (I'd debate 5, but my friend says it doesn't count because I took a 1 hour nap somewhere in there) during a spring break one year without being able to fall asleep. It was not my intention to do this, I just couldn't sleep. Back then, I'd try to figure out how to load as much into DEVICEHIGH on MS-DOS as I could to give all of my 640K conventional memory to play my games. It was learning how to solve problems like this, evolving into more complex ones over time, that made computers an easy career choice. It wasn't just linux though. DOS, Windows, and Amiga all have had their binge sessions. To me, I think you either are a night-owl, or you're not. If you are, The internet is always open.. even on Christmas.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I work nights so I guess I must be somewhat.

Beans

I'm in Western Europe and find myself on here usually between 12 and 3 am. There just seems to be more peace to work on stuff around that time.
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    Nah, ******* users too, and mac users, just depends on the person not the os.
    I like your new avatar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by linuxisevolution View Post
    I like your new avatar.
    Oh thanks, it's an edited version of aysiu's.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Hidden!

Well when your hobby isn't limited by daylight or anything being open, it's easy to stay up way late.

Personally I'm asleep at 12:30-ish and up at 8 (unemployed, but I refuse to be one of those unemployed guys that doesn't get up until noon).
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

I go to bed around 12:30 or so and wake up at 9:30 or something. I usually stay up late at night, or morning, when I'm doing some college work or reading something really cool, for example about ITIL or something of the sorts
    Software should be smart, not clever

Beans
    Hidden!

I tend to go to sleep between 1 and 2AM, and then wake up between 7 and 8AM. I don't know why, I don't have an alarm to wake me up or consciously check the time before I go to sleep, but on the few occasions when I do check the time, that seems to be the trend. There isn't any particular reason for this I go to bed between midnight and 1AM, it just takes me an hour or so of laying in darkness to actually get to sleep, and six hours seems to be all my body needs as I wake up naturally.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans

Even before I started working nights I'd always liked to stay up way late, even if it meant not sleeping. I personally find nights more comfortable, and there are generally less distractions. Lately I go to bed at around 07:00, and wake up around 15:00.
    Last edited by kuja; April 6th, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
    "I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ The Black Mage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

not me. i get up in the morning every morning when the birds start to sing. that they will do around 4 in the morning. i check the ubuntu forums then while drinking morning coffee.
    then later i get sleepy and i sleep a hour or two.

at night i go to bed around 9 or ten but often wakes up in the middle of the night and sit drinking coffee and smoke cigarettes for a couple of hours. that is just a period i am in right now.

i tend to sleep whole night trough and never go to bed later than 11 and then wake up 3 or 4 in the morning and be awake all day when my rythm is normal.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast