Thread: Cannot get compiz to workin KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Cannot get compiz to workin KDE 4.2

I have KDE 4.2 (and GNOME 2.24) installed. I am trying to install compiz-fusion on KDE. I go to add/remove and find a desktop effects configuration program that is supported by Canonical. On first start however, it told me I needed to have the compiz engine installed and presented me with a button that said "install desktop effects." I clicked it and a dialog window popped up telling me the packages were already installed. I know my graphics card is supported because I have gotten compiz to work in GNOME (I have disabled it in gnome though, in case it would interfere with it in KDE) and I have gotten Kwins efects to work. I checked synaptic and I have all the compiz packages installed except for the dev ones. I am clueless as to how to make this work. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.
    The number of living people on Earth today is not in the trillions. In fact, the number is much much smaller. Most people are too busy living in yesterday and tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot get compiz to workin KDE 4.2

I beleive you use kwin to set effects in KDE and compiz to set effects in gnome. Compiz installed by default, so no need to install it again.

Jim

Beans

Re: Cannot get compiz to workin KDE 4.2

You can use compiz on KDE 4.1, I had to go to System Settings and from Session I set up compiz as opposed to KWin. On KDE 4.2, however, it seems to be different. I cannot find the option.

In any way, KWin will work better than compiz (on KDE 4.2 I mean). KWin has overall fewer effects, however, they have better integration/stability and a few function that compiz lacks (i.e. preview a minimized window).