Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it just me or is gimp == POS

Thumbs down is it just me or is gimp == POS

ive been doing cg since the dawn of windows 3.1...

i only made it to photoshop 5...

ive switched over to linux and im wondering if theres anything better than gimp...

ms paint had some better quality features...

some of the blending modes are really cheap looking.

THE POINT OF THIS POST IS:
    is there any quality 2D photo/paint apps for linux

and other "cheap" freeware looking quirks

i made the above graphic i n like 1/2 hour with gimp, it still needs work but i think all the blending modes are just wrong.... i seem to come up with "cheap" edges alot...
    Last edited by pg-13(prostitute); April 4th, 2009 at 10:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: is it just me or is gimp == POS

it's just you

wtf though, is there any other 2d programs

sgi uses redhat, there has to be somthing for linux,

gimp really isnt cutting it for my region

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Unfortunately I've never acquired any serious CG skills but I've read that GIMP holds up fairly well but I don't really know from first hand experience. My suggestion is to check out some GIMP forums and see if there are things to be learned that can help you do better with it if possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I reckon GIMP is OK.

Which features are you missing from MS Paint?

i might be onto some other stuff
    i checked the sgi website, im sure they are using linux now so theres some stuff there such as Imagevision, maybe more

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've noticed that most people who slag off gimp do so because gimp isn't photoshop. You're such a person, and I'd suggest you use photoshop. You could dual-boot windows with ubuntu, or run it in a virtual session. But if the gimp doesn't cut it, that's because it isn't photoshop. So use photoshop.

Or you could do as I do. I use the gimp. I don't moan about its inadequacies in Ubuntu forums. If I have a major gripe (I haven't yet), I might complain on a gimp-related forum or mailing list or I might contact a developer. But in the meantime I just use gimp to the best of my/its abilities. It isn't photoshop. But it is a very good image manipulation program. And it's free and Free, which makes it infinitely better than photoshop.

If you really truly want to use photoshop in linux, moan at adobe. Or you could learn programming, and write a linux port or "improvements" to gimp. Go for it! That'll be a much better way of spending your time, rather than whingeing and moaning about gimp on a forum that isn't a gimp developers forum.

As for "good" image manipulation apps for linux...I recommend gimp.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

mspaint and gimp ~=

not really im just being uptight

but im just tired of having to do workarounds for somthing that is so wrong.. the guys and gimp if im not mistaken get paid $50,000 per year in donations, not like thats a $20/hr paycheck...

dont get ur panties in a bunch
    like i said im writing a new 2d editor with specific features for painting 3d models, which i hope will be better than bodypaint

but i dont wanna use windows and im sure i was only asking if there was a professional 2d tool availAble

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by pg-13(prostitute) View Post
    mspaint and gimp ~=

not really im just being uptight

but im just tired of having to do workarounds for somthing that is so wrong.. the guys and gimp if im not mistaken get paid $50,000 per year in donations, not like thats a $20/hr paycheck...
    Don't use it then.

It sounds like you want to use photoshop, so use photoshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast