View Poll Results: Your Opinions on this Decision.

Voters
398. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use a different window manager, And I feel this is terrible.

179 44.97%
  • I use a different window manager, And I think that this is fine.

89 22.36%
  • I use only Metacity, And I feel this is terrible.

61 15.33%
  • I use only Metacity, And I think that this is fine.

69 17.34%
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Compiz and Gnome Shell. Gnome is suggesting something really dumb.

Beans

Re: Compiz and Gnome Shell. Gnome is suggesting something really dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias_117 View Post
    From what all I've seen, it seems like Gnome is trying to help Mark Shuttleworth with his goal of making Ubuntu more and more like Mac (Not necessarily a bad thing, or a good thing, it just is ).
    No where near the truth. Gnome is not really helping Canonical at all. More closer to that Canonical tend to develop their new ideas in closed rooms, and open source them on launchpad when a usable base is ready. Once stabilised and a specification is complete, they then push the code upstream into ie: Gnome, FreeDesktop.org, etc. Once there, the code is either accepted or rejected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Compiz and Gnome Shell. Gnome is suggesting something really dumb.

Mutter's performance is not that deplorable in my opinion.

Nevertheless I feel that the GNOME shell inetrface is terrible and that it actually decreases productivity rather than increasing it.

The addition of the activities button increases the number of movements need to switch a window.This increase in the number of movements translates into a increased amount of time waited .Although the time wasted per each switch is very small, when it adds up it leads to a large amount of time being lost.

What would be amazing is for GNOME 3 to have a task-bar/ dock built in ,in-addition to the activities button.This would allow easy switching between windows.Furthermore it would allow the user to keep note on what applications/windows are open.
    Neverthless the functionality of the Activities button should be kept as it is for it will make a cool addition like some sort " Universal Manager."(like the mac mission control: please don't hate me for this)

Beans

Old thread is old.
    No longer active here.

Beans

And on that bombshell, I think it's time to close.

Nighty night.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122