Thread: Hardy, IBEX etc. Wired LAN problems.

Beans

Exclamation Hardy, IBEX etc. Wired LAN problems.

When I tried the live CD of Hardy and IBEX on my computers I could not get the wired LAN to work. Since that time, I have been doing some investigation.
    Here is a summary of the results so far.
    -----------------------------------------
    From what I can see they did a major re-write of some of the ifconfig code around kernel 2.26 or so. The results for many wired LAN chips are that assigning an IP address to the ethernet interface is no longer possible.

]I have several computers with different flavors of wired LAN cards/chips.
    With kernel 2.22 (Ubuntu Gutsy) I did not have any problems.
    With kernels 2.26 and 2.27 I have verified the following problem.

On some of the LAN cards/chips the link will come up, but an IP address cannot be assigned.
    This is true whether the assignment is via DHCP or via a manual ifconfig cmd from a terminal session.

For example
    ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.2.112
    reports: SIOCSIFADDR no buffer space available.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.112 netmask 255.255.255.0
    reports one or both of the following error messages:
    SIOCSIFADDR no buffer space available.
    SIOCSIFNETMASK cannot assign requested address

dhclient eth0 reports: send_packet message too long.
    as well as the SIOCSIFADDR error message.

I have verified this behaviour with various distros, Ubuntu Ibex, Fedora 10, Felicia Mint, and Mandriva 2008.

From my limited bug tracing ability it looks like the module devinet.c is the one printing the error messages, but I do not have the expertise to figure out why.

Here are the various LAN chips that I tested, the driver they use with the 2.26 and later kernels and the results:

MFG LAN-CHIP Driver VERS Result.
    VIA RHine-II via-rhine 1.4.3 OK
    SMC AMTEK-NC100 tulip 1.1.15 OK
    3Com 3c905 3c59x OK
    Intel 3945ABG ipw3845 1.2.2mp OK (wireless)
    Intel Pro/100VE e100 3.5.17-k4-NAPI ERRORs/FAIL
    Marvel Yukon skge 1.11 ERRORS / FAIL
    Realtek RTL811/81688 r8169 2.2LK ERRORS / FAIL
    Realtek RTL8139 8139too 0.9.28 OK

It looks like the more recent chips have the problem, but the older ones do not.
    I wonder if a work around would be to use NDISWRAPER and the windows driver for the chips that don't work?
    pgmer6809

Beans

Re: Hardy, IBEX etc. Wired LAN problems.

There seems to be a bug either in the kernel (patched versionshere) or in the Network Manager that causes this. Try either installing the patched kernel or better yet disable NM and try ifconfig before installing the new kernel -maybe you can avoid it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bgerlich View Post
    There seems to be a bug either in the kernel (patched versionshere) or in the Network Manager that causes this. Try either installing the patched kernel or better yet disable NM and try ifconfig before installing the new kernel -maybe you can avoid it.
    The problem is definitely NOT in Network Manager. Network Manager works fine.
    It even detects that the (non-working) link is up (which it is). The problem is definitely in ifconfig.c cmd (who is responsible for getting an IP address assigned), which calls devinet.c which calls ??? gets some sort of return and then reports the error.

I am not sure how to patch a kernel or to install a patched kernel.
    I don't know what portion of a kernel would work with some LAN drivers (older ones) and not others (newer ones).
    pgmer6809

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pgmer6809 View Post
    The problem is definitely NOT in Network Manager. Network Manager works fine.
    It even detects that the (non-working) link is up (which it is). The problem is definitely in ifconfig.c cmd (who is responsible for getting an IP address assigned), which calls devinet.c which calls ??? gets some sort of return and then reports the error.

I am not sure how to patch a kernel or to install a patched kernel.
    I don't know what portion of a kernel would work with some LAN drivers (older ones) and not others (newer ones).
    pgmer6809
    Thanks very much for the link.
    Just from scanning the text of the patches it looks like that would address the problem.
    I note that the patched kernel provided at your links is a 2.28 version.

Question 1. Will Ubuntu be providing updated kernel images for Ibex and Hardy?
    Question 2.
    If the answer to 1 is "Not soon" then I presume I need to DL the text of the patch, apply it to the devinet.c module (and also figure out how to patch the kernel headers file?) and recompile the whole kernel?
    Any hints on how to do that? (I have obviously DL'ed the kernel source already.
    Thanks,
    pgmer6809