Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sound problem

Beans

Re: sound problem

well guys I've tried all the remedies I could find in these pages but none seem to work for me.Maybe I should install a pci sound card.I have a msi PM 400 socket A motherboard.Any suggestions?

Beans

Your current soundcard is not the culprit. Realtek cards are widespread and well supported by ALSA. Your problem with missing sound in Flash apps is caused by PulseAudio. If you do a search in this forum, you'll find hundreds of threads dealing with the same problem. It has been a frequent issue since Ubuntu 8.04.

The good news is that you can remove PulseAudio and have all your apps play sound through plain ALSA. I did that last year and never looked back.

Beans

Thanks EYE 208.I tried both methods in "Fix pulseaudio in 5 minutes" but still no sound.I then removed all reference to pulseaudio in synaptic.Still nothing.
    Using the test boxes in,System>preferences > sound and all devices set to alsa I get no sound from any of the tests.
    I do get sound from the tests with;
    ES 1371 DAC1 and
    ES 1371 DAC2/adc
    If I want sound I have to go back to windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wombil View Post
    I do get sound from the tests with;
    ES 1371 DAC1 and
    ES 1371 DAC2/adc
    If I want sound I have to go back to windows.
    If you have two soundcards in your computer, ALSA will initialize them in random order. I guess that the Realtek card was chosen as default, but the Ensoniq card is the one you are actually using.

In this case the solution is simple: Deactivate the unused Realtek card in the BIOS, so that ALSA chooses the other card as default.

Beans

Thank you Eye 208.problem fixed.Just disabled AC 97 in bios and all ok.Never had this trouble with other installations before tho.I suppose if I remove the pci card would do the same thing?
    Thanks to all other helpers too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12