Thread: Power supply question.....

Beans

Power supply question.....

Ok, I here is my setup for my box...

BIOSTAR TF560 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 560 MCP ATX AMD mobo
    EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

idk the ram my friend gave it to me but i have 4gb
    and his 600watt power supply and Creative autigy SE (sp) and i have a amd 2.6 dual core 3 HDD 2 in raid 0 and dvd burner

But here is my question. I have a speaker system with a sub and 2 desktop speakers and whenever i play my music loud etc the light always gets really dim so im thinking i need A) a bigger power supply or B) rig up another power supply somehow (idk how but my friend has done it and it worked really good) Surely 600 watts would be good for what i have... Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Beans

Re: Power supply question.....

I don't think your PSU drives the speakers.

The sub usually has it's own PSU and the speakers feed of the sub.

Beans

i see... well is there some way i can increase power flow? Or, do I even need to?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wired16 View Post
    i see... well is there some way i can increase power flow? Or, do I even need to?
    1) Turn down your volume--odds are you're damaging your hearing, if your speakers are pulling enough current to dim your lights. You only get ONE pair of ears.

2) Get either a bigger fuse or a breaker which can handle more load....or lessen the load on the breaker that has the speakers attached to it. If you need to ask how to do this, or don't know what this means-JUST DO #1.

3) You computer PSU has LITTLE to do with your speakers dimming the lights.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    1) Turn down your volume--odds are you're damaging your hearing, if your speakers are pulling enough current to dim your lights. You only get ONE pair of ears.
    \m/

If you ain't deaf, you're doing it wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZNBcJTmWs&flip=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Wired16 View Post
    I have a speaker system with a sub and 2 desktop speakers and whenever i play my music loud etc the light always gets really dim so im thinking i need A) a bigger power supply or B) rig up another power supply somehow (idk how but my friend has done it and it worked really good) Surely 600 watts would be good for what i have... Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

1. You have too much plugged into you houses electricaly system. either find another outlet in your room that doesn't run on the same line, or upgrade your house's electrical system.

2. Computer draw alot of electricity, so when you using them try not to use other high amperage applainces, like High Dryers, Vaccums, other PCs, microwaves, TVs, and enormous stereos. Run too many of these type of things at one time and you will be in the dark my friend.

3. Use less electricity = lower power bill = better for enviroment
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

2) Get either a bigger fuse or a breaker which can handle more load....or lessen the load on the breaker that has the speakers attached to it. If you need to ask how to do this, or don't know what this means-JUST DO #1.
    As an electrician I can tell you that if you're drawing too much current through a breaker or fuse it will normally trip/blow rather than dimming the lights. So if this is in fact what is happening I suggest you get a professional in to check things over.

I will also reaffirm that you should not attempt to carry out this kind of work yourself unless you are qualified. Fire or death could ensue otherwise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mehall View Post
    \m/

If you ain't deaf, you're doing it wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZNBcJTmWs&flip=1
    As a musician-I meet too many young folks with ears that are crapped out from pushing volume far too high, not realising it, and permanently damaging their hearing.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As a musician-I meet too many young folks with ears that are crapped out from pushing volume far too high, not realising it, and permanently damaging their hearing.
    I second that too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by smbm View Post
    As an electrician I can tell you that if you're drawing too much current through a breaker or fuse it will normally trip/blow rather than dimming the lights. So if this is in fact what is happening I suggest you get a professional in to check things over.

I will also reaffirm that you should not attempt to carry out this kind of work yourself unless you are qualified. Fire or death could ensue otherwise.
    What I was gonna say, only in better words.
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.