View Poll Results: Which OSs Should I Use With my Gaming Computer?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linux - Ubuntu

63 48.84%
  • Linux - Other (please specify)

7 5.43%
  • Windows

87 67.44%
  • Mac'

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Computer: Hardware, Software, Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Building Your First Computer

Feel free to post if you have any issues/questions. Good luck making your computer!

Tips:
    • You will probably find that most of the cables you need (and more) will come with your motherboard - no need to buy them separately.
    • A CPU cooler comes with the CPU, however it's usually quite small, so if you want to overclock your computer you'll need to get a bigger one.
    • Remember to turn the PSU on (it took me a few minutes to figure out why the computer wouldn't power up )

Links:

Q/A
    Code:
    Q: Should I get firewire?
    A: Mainly used for webcams 'n' stuff (don't bother).

Q: Is water cooling worth it?
    A: Tough question - mainly used by hardcore computerers.

Q: I don't want to loose data on my drive - which backup program should I use?
    A: There are tons of them, choose for yourself: partimage, rsync, tar, and others.

Q: What does PCIe x1/x2/x4/x8/x16 mean?
    A: Number of lanes in a PCIe slot, more lanes means more speed. Different devices use different amounts of lanes - a GPU uses x16.

Q: PSU - Some general info' please?
    A: Get a good quality one or a smoke alarm. At least 500W.

Q: 64bit/32bit - Which should I get and what is the difference?
    A: 32bit limits RAM usage to around 3GB. 32bit has stability, 64bit has speed. 32bit programs still run on 64bit systems.

Q: Is, for example, a CPU running at 1GHz equivalent to a GPU running at 1GHz?
    A: No, because different devices do a different number of 'jobs' per Hz.

Q: Are AMD/Intel/ATI/NVidia all compatible with each other?
    A: Yes but you can't use two different graphics cards at the same time and CPUs are motherboard-specific.

Q: Are dual processors worth it?
    A: Yes. The more processors, the better.

Q: How should I best make use of my two HDDs, how should I partition them?
    A: Simplest way would be to have the OS(s) on one and data on the other (larger) one. Although you may want to look into other methods such as RAID.

Q: A computer gets slower as it gets older: What makes it slow? Motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc?
    A: The Operating System; Linux takes far longer to get slow than Windows.

Q: Wine - Is it easy to use, does it create lots of glitches?
    A: You'll need a Nvidia GPU to stand a chance, even than you can't expect all games to work.

Q: What is so good about PS/2, PS/3, etc?
    A: You don't need to setup your keyboard layout, it just works.
    My Hardware:
    • Case: Antec 300
    • PSU: Antec EarthWatts 750W
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P 790FX - case fan control doesn't seem to work
    • CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz
    • GPU: ATi Radeon 3850 - bad Linux compatibility
    • HDD: Western Digital 80GB

Upgrades:
    • SDD: Looking into getting one of these to stick my / and /boot partitions on to speed up startup.

A huge thanks to everyone who posted replies to this topic - I found your information invaluable when selecting my hardware and finally building the computer.
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; July 17th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Gaming Computer: Hardware, Software, Ubuntu?

If you want to play Windows-only games go with Windows. If you want to play cross-platform games (Urban Terror, Spring, Frets on Fire) use what you want to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

look at my machine in my sig...i built it, minus the 9800GTX and HDD's for $350 canadian, Case, PSU, Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and HSF

the total of my machine, is around $600 canadian so far...and it plays whatever i throw at it, crysis on high
    AMD X2 7750 Kuma OC'd to 3.1ghz||ASUS M2N68-AM||4GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2||EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+||Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO||OCZ MODXSTREAM-PRO 600W||Seagate 1x500GB IDE 2x500GB SATA(RAID1)||Antec Three Hundred||1x140mm 2x120mm Antec Fans|

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice, I might look into that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My home-built PC has:

Case: ATX RaidMax Ninja 918 (no PSU) in black
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz 1333MHz FSB S775 4MB 65nm
    RAM: 2x1024MB OCZ DDR2 800MHz CL4 EL Rev 2.0 platinum XTC
    Graphics Card: 512MB Gigabyte Geforce 8600 PCIe DDR2 128bit 2xDVI TVOut HDCP
    Motherboard: Asus P5KPL S775 iG31 FSB 1066MHz PCIe ATX
    HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA II 16MB cache
    DVD drive: Samsung SH-S203D/BEBE SATA black without bulk software
    PSU: ATX Xilence Power 500W ATX 2.0

links on my blog: http://lswest-ubuntu.blogspot.com/20...n-ordered.html

the keyboard is a Logitech G11 gamer keyboard (lots of flashy LEDs ) and the mouse is a G5 laser mouse I think (can't remember atm, not in front of it). Monitor is a 22" Acer. There are photos on my blog: http://lswest-ubuntu.blogspot.com/20...onitor-22.html

Probably not entirely what you're looking for, but that whole setup cost me about 500-600€ a few months ago (roughly 460-560 or so pounds I think).

Hope that helps?

About the RAM: I'd get 4GB if you can afford it, or else 2GB should be good. What kind of things are you planning on doing with the PC (besides gaming, and maybe what games you're thinking of)?
    Last edited by lswest; March 31st, 2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: more info

Beans

i've build my computer for games on a VERY tight budget, its 1 year old now.
    Dual boot WindowsXP/Ubuntu 8.10 x32.
    AMD Athlon X2 6400+
    Asus M2N-SLI
    2xGeForce 8600 GT in SLi( second card was bought much later )
    2x1Gig OSX Platinum
    The rest of PC i found around the house/borrowed from mates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I have Ubuntu for my gaming rig. I have yet to find a game that I cannot run that I couldn't live without.
    Bios Elemental - My Blog | Useful Ubuntu and WINE related help as well as general Geek Things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

About the more info section: computers with windows get slower with time due to the registry filling up and fragmentation. Linux ext3 systems don't fragment noticeably and registries don't exist. Gconf may get bogged down in gnome after a while but that's it.
    How would you like to back up the old hdd? To make an entire image I'd suggest using clonezilla livecd, but for just copying it over any linux livecd or any system is fine. Depends, like I said, on how you want to back it up.
    Wine is pretty good but it doesn't work for everything, check the appdb on winehq for info on games and programs.

Hope that helps a bit. If you have any questions I'll gladly try to answer, especially once I'm back at a real keyboard (on my ipod touch atm).
    Lswest

Beans

Well, for specs i love my PC :

3.1 ghz Processor, 8gig ram, Nvidia 9800GTX, hard drives : 320 gig, 160 gig, 120 gig

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-MA790X

Processor : AMD 3.1

Ram : Black Dragon Ram

Graphics Card : GeForce 9800 GT

Power Supply : 900 Watt Supply (is that excessive?)

Case : Lian Li ATX case

3 hard drives (assorted sizes)

Lite on DVD drive

OS's -

Xubuntu 8.10 64 Bit (main drive, main OS)
    Zenwalk (secound drive, i play with it sometimes)
    Xubuntu 9.04 64 bit (third drive, changes constantly)

Without hard drives or DVD drive, about £500 cost total. No Windows installation, just Linux. I have donated about £80 to Linux OS's so i guess you could say that what i spent on OS's, but i highlight the word 'donated'. To repeat my PC, OS's would cost you nothing.

For OS, i believe if you want to use Windows games, install Windows. In my experience not everything works well in WINE. I only have Linux OS's on my PC and buy all good Linux games i like that are for Linux. This supports games company's that develop for Linux and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I never feel the desire to buy Windows games, or use Windows programs so have no use for Windows on my PC. What is it for you? Do you want to use Windows software? If yes, dual boot. Its the best way of guaranteeing everything you buy works.

As the fella above me says Windows eventually slows down due to registry's, also viruses and a fragmented hard drive. With care these can be kept to a minimum. I personally am not a careful person. I try, but never try quite hard enough as every Windows installation i have had has slowed to a crawl with time. From what i understand, if your a careful kinda guy, your Windows installation should not slow down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want a good graphics card, pick up an 8800GT.

It's essentially a 9800GT/9800GTX/9800GTX+

Just overclock it if need be.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast