Thread: how do you get your ip address?

Beans

how do you get your ip address?

hey guys

id like to connect to my computer over the internet using ssh, but im allocated my ip address via DHCP from my ISP. am i going to have to try and get a static address from my ISP if i want to use ssh?

any help would be appreciated
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: how do you get your ip address?

You can find out your external ip by going to whatismyip.com.
    If you are behind a router you will need to forward port 22 to allow an ssh connection to the internal address of the machine behing your router. You can find this address by doing:
    Code:
    ifconfig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

If you'd like to access your machine via SSH from elsewhere, you could also use a dynamic DNS Service like DynDNS - that way you can SSH using the domain name, and the DNS service is updated with your dynamic IP address from your ISP. It's a little tricky to get it working just right, but it's really a pretty handy tool.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just my opinion... If you plan frequent access from Internet, the Dynamic DNS service would be better solution. Short term solution (whatsmyip.com) means finding ip from local net, then using it before lease expires and another ip address is acquired.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Digit this in a terminal and it will give you your current lan's ip;

Code:
    wget -q -O - checkip.dyndns.org | sed 's/[^[:digit:]|.]//g'
    EDIT: I got this off some thread in the ubuntuforums.org about a year and a half ago. I do not remember whom's post it was.Sorry I cannot give credit to the author.
    Last edited by hovzio; March 30th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
    Specs:
    Desktop; Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200@ 2.33GHz, 4 gb RAM, Geforce 9800GT and an Asus eeepc1000h

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by andyklaj View Post
    hey guys

id like to connect to my computer over the internet using ssh, but im allocated my ip address via DHCP from my ISP. am i going to have to try and get a static address from my ISP if i want to use ssh?

any help would be appreciated
    thanks

You can browse to http://www.whatismyip.com to get the external IP address assigned to you by your provider. This is usually assigned to your router/modem. Assuming you are using some sort of router/modem or both, in which case the modem has the external address, you would then need to make sure that port 22 is forwarded to the internal IP address of the computer you are trying to connect to.

You can use the ifconfig command to get the internal address of the computer you are trying to connect to.

Rick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If your router/modem has an option for dynamic ip then configure that to work with a service like dyndns.org. If it doesn't then you can still do this but you run a client daemon on your server like ddclient. It does the same thing which is to get out and get your ip every few minutes and update the dynamic dns at a service like dyndns.org. As long as dyndns.org is updated then you can use the name you chose there to access your server. It will follow the dhcp assigned ip (with possible brief downtimes as the ip changes).

Beans

hey guys

I got ssh working over the internet, thanks a lot for your input.

p.s. do you have any links for good networking guides or books? (the best i could find was at the ubunut community doc's and aboutdebian.com)

thanks