Thread: Mount point suggestions

Beans

Mount point suggestions

I have used Ubuntu for a while now, but I have to do a reinstallation (something got corrupted) and I was wondering if I should try to mount different directories under / onto different partitions. I have already had /home under a seperate 10 GB partition, 2 GB Swap, and a 8 GB / partition, but I was wondering if I should mount /boot /var /usr /usr/local /tmp /srv or /opt onto different partitions.
    What are the advanteges of doing so, and how should I split them up over a 40 GB hard drive with Windows taking up 10 GB (so basically 30 GB to work with). I want a 10 GB /home partition at least
    The world only has as much power over you as you let it have. -camper365
    Dell Latitude D630 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo, Nvidia Quadro 135M 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, Ubuntu Studio Precise
    Linux user #489864 Ubuntu user #27303

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount point suggestions

8 GB for '/'
    10 GB for '/home'
    2 GB for '/swap'
    That's plenty.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just a simple question for my own information. A reinstall will overwrite your exiswting file system on the install partition. Is /home on a separate safe? Or should personal info be backed up prior to proceeding?
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you have a separate /home; keep it. You can do that by Installing,going 'Manual', picking the partitions. In the case of /home; give it mount point '/home, but DO NOT FORMAT IT. Having said that; you should always backup everything when doing a new installation.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584